Airguns and air rifles

Tomkat

Does anyone know what the position is regarding airguns in France? I've searched the archives but can't find anything. We move over in June and I want to take an air rifle with me. I don't need a licence for it in UK as it's power is below the legal limit, but what about in France? Can I simply import it with our other posessions, do I need to declare it in France etc. I intend to declare it at customs just to avoid any confusion and risk of being arrested on suspicion of terrorism! I've asked at our local Police Station but they don't know anything about it and the local Firearms officer is only interested in shotguns/firearms etc.
Any help much appreciated.

Dave

Hi, I bought an air rifle in france last year from a gun shop. There were no questions or forms ,so I take it from this that there is no licence required. A friend of mine bought a new shotgun from a dealer at a market and was not asked for anything. When we went to the dealers shop for more shells he told us that you can have a small vermin gun without a licence, but for larger shotguns you would need a licence which I think involves a three day course. hope this helps.
Mick

Dave,
Can't answer all your questions but I can say that we bought one recently ( an air rifle) from a shop in Pontivy for our son. I asked if a licence was needed and the answer was no. The gun had to be put in my name as our son is under eighteen and I did have to provide proof of identity and residency.
The details were then registered in a book in the shop and I had to sign in the alloted space.
This implies perhaps that the officials like to know where the air rifles are but don't actually produce licences for them.
If you visit before your move perhaps you could enquire in your local gun shop.
Fiona

Hello Tomkat,
The legal limit for power is a lot less than the UK (12ft lb).
So just dont go getting yourself in trouble and you should be ok.

A good site for all airgun information is www.airgunbbs.com the good lads on their will give you all the info you could ever ask for and more!.

Happy plinking,,,
BUD

• 4 weeks later...
You don't need a licence for an airgun in France providing, like here, it falls on or under the accepted power limit. Take a tip if you buy one. Lock it up. I took over my Weirauch 77 last year to leave there for when we move over and the house was broken into and that was the only thing taken (Area 23)

Keith