Hiking Maps

Hi Andy, have a look at http://www.lynks.co.uk/antenna.html at the Garmin aeriel. They are very good and when I have ordered cables from them they have sent them even before I have sent a cheque. They don't have card fascilities. The prices are there.

If they can't help you then try this one http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/allprods.php?category_id=94.

I have mounted the mag bit on mine above the middle of my windscreen and tucked the co-ax under the windscreen seal, then through the door and under the trim to the re-rad part which is stuck to the top center of the screen with the clear suckers that came with it. I wondered if the suckers would hold. They seem OK so far after several months.

Unfortunately now I'm early retired I can't warrant an in car nav system, but the Etrex works very well. I plug it into a car adaptor, from Lynx (cheeper than Global Pos Sys...). I also got the GPS connectors from Lynx and made up a combined data/power cable. I've got a few of those little multi voltage mains adaptors, so I put the plug that fits one of them and I can plug it into our laptop and power and if I could persuade Frances to have the laptop on her lap while I drive we would have the PERFECT moving map system! But when it's plugged into the car and we are driving at night the back light stays on all the time if you select it. The map system I use at the moment is the Garmin MapSourc. It's good but hasn't any true map topography.

With the Carto system is there any way of getting any detail of the whole of France 100,000 maps. All I have been able to get is a rough outline with towns, no roads or any detail?

Example  :-  we arived at Toulouse airport and got our hire car at almost midnight. The flight was 3 hours late due to bad weather. We had to go to Mazamet, about an hour or so due East, and find a bed & breakfast place there. We had the address. The route and address was dumped to the Etrex before we left home. We left the airport and the first road sign sign said turn right. The Etrex said T left. I followed the road sign and we were lost! All of 5 mins! I used the map on the unit and we found the correct road fairly quickly. After that I did as I was told. we got to Mazamet at 2 in the morning. I just beared left here, turned right there and all of a sudden the next turn point was getting further away, it was the last one. I turned round and carefully drove back till it read '0'. We wer outside an Auberge. Not the right place. I looked at the place directly across the road from our stop and it was the B&B front door!!! I was impressed!! On the MapSource you set the start and finish and any preferences, Autoroutes, small roads, etc and it puts all the points in for you. It's quite interesting using it flying over here. Ryanair allow them... You can see where you are and using the sat height, at what altitude you are. Otherwise you get the cabin height...

Dinner calls this time!

John.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that onfo John - I will have a look at it later.

I have a 1:100000 of Provence and it gives some detail but not minor roads. Certainly seems adequate for car travelling though. I am sure that you can get these for virtually all of France although the 1:25000 do not yet have full coverage as far as I know.

Must go now - at work at present.

Andy