Metal detectors. which one ?

I am planning on buying a metal detector as its a hobby i have always wanted to do.  looking  at E bay im now totaly confussed as to which one i need to buy. The two modles which seem to be ok are the Bounty hunter or the seben extreme which are both about 150 euros new. Dose any one know of a good beginners detector and the rules of using one in france ?  Are the two on ebay a good start??or has some one secondhand for sale ?? thanks steve

If you want an easy to use but very capable machine try a Tesoro. Few controls but quite good depth and good sensitivity and you won't have to spend too much time 'twiddling'. I have had many machines, but found that I spent more time adjusting them than I did detecting. The Tesoro Silver Sabre may look simple, but beats many of the 'bells and whistles' machines hands down.

My other half has found all sorts of interesting bits and pieces, mostly coins. This summer he found a cache of 108 bullets which seem to have been hidden by the resistance. Quite an exciting event - after the first few we had to call in people who knew what they were doing because we didn't know if they were dangerous. It made our day.

Hoddy

Yes Christine Animal... - were you nearer, I would take pleasure in showing you my gold half sovereign and silver National Trust medallion plus my dozen or more rings and silver bracelets. Not to mention literally hundreds of coins ranging from Roman to pre decimal.

No stevecentrefranc... most of my finds were in the UK. During the late 60's/early 70's I used to search the Thames foreshore using the 'eyes only' method, but then progressed to metal detectors on farmlands and seaside beaches.

I have searched a local Chateau here and found a fair few pieces which I gave to the owner. Nothing valuable, but all interesting pieces including quite a few Napoleons and an agriculture medallion dated in the 1800's

The main reason people don't find anything is because they sweep too fast and don't keep the detector head close enough to the ground - it has to virtually skim the ground so you should invest in a coil cover.

I still have three detectors - a tesoro Silver Sabre, a Red Heat Lightning , and a Fisher CZ6a Quicksilver. believe me, once you start finding things, you never look back - it grabs you.

If the weather dampens the ground a bit, I might start detecting again as I haven't done so for about 12months.

Yes it is quite dear. If you Google for metal detectors uk there are many offering secondhand machines.

I would advise against getting one with too many knobs and buttons - you'll spend a heck of a long time in adjusting and re-adjusting trying to get the best performance. In this case it would be best to start with something fairly simple to use and then progress upward.

By this, I don't mean cheap and nasty, but a machine which gives automatic tuning as well as manual.