No choice but to take legal action - has anyone done it already ?

Manon

I went to court over a  car I bought that was seriously unsafe despite having passed the contrôle technique.

I won the case with costs, but had to pay the lawyer and the huissier (who was supposed to collect what I was owed) in advance.

Of course the firm  "went bankrupt",  (apparently a frequent occurrence in the circumstances)so I lost the car,  the money, the lawyer's fees and the huissier's costs, even though I had "won" ..[:-))]

I'm interested to read this; we have some English neighbours (holiday home) with a newly installed pool which has been plagued with problems from day1 when the digger turned up. I used to go and have a look at the daily progress and was horrified at the standard of work and the finished product. They told me some of the costs (the bills came in separately) and I was shocked. I'm doubtful of the usefulness of a pool in a holiday home in any case; number of times used versus maintenance required. We have a plan d'eau only 5 minutes away.

Could you give us a clue as to where you are and whether your pool is French-installed or British workers? I don't suppose you could state the company name on here but any clues would be useful. I will pass this info to our friends.

The "mechanic" down the road has been taken to court a couple of times by people I know in the village. For those involved, its a long drawn out, expensive process and despite "winning", they have no money, no car no compensation and no hope of getting anything more. From what I gather, he folded the business and is trading under a new business registered in his wifes name.

Farce.

Thank you for your replies - it turns out that our pool company is well known to the local lawyers ! We are in the Auvergne and itf anyone wants to pm me for the name of the people involved I will happily tell you as I would hate anyone to be taken in the way we have been.