Football in France

The prices are cheaper than the Premiership but only a few clubs get big gates - PSG , Lyon , Lens and Marseille.

The atmosphere is less hostile with few away supporters due to the distance between clubs and the time of games - Sat nights.

Where were you thinking of moving to?

Tim.

Got to get my football fix from somewhere!

I have been looking around Bergerac for houses so on first look it could be a trek to watch Bordeaux home games is my best bet. Looking forward to it but as I'm used to football at Fratton Park so the standard isn't always great!

we miss the UK footy - especially Fratton Park!!! Haven't got Sky Sport so just rely on the matches broadcast on BBC & ITV. Hubby is watching the FA Cup Final as I type!

Drove past the Stade de Rennes last week - it looks huge - but is the standard of footy any good??

There are many ways to assess the standard.  First, the clubs have almost no money, except Lyon, and sometimes Marseilles.  So they can't buy anyone much.  On the other hand, players from the French League get snapped up abroad by some of the biggest clubs, where they become stars, ALL THE TIME.  So you can watch some fine footie here.  Not always a team full of internationals, but some fine footie.  There is always UK TV which many immigrants cannot do without.  If it were so bad, why woud the French players become stars in the best teams on earth?  And with Lyon, you get one of the best teams in Europe.

Nothing wrong with the football at FP this season..........highest placing since 1955 and millions in the coffers from TV, Premier League, etc.

Nearest "league" team to me is Niort - who are struggling to survive in L2 - and if they do survive they will be playing Nantes next season - who have been relegated from L1 (champions a few years ago and Barthez has been playing in goal for them).

If the FA Cup final is anything to go by, your local under 10's side would have more enjoyment than the English prem! What a disgraceful match that was.

Anyway, another way to get your footie fix is a visit here: http://www.myp2p.eu/

Download the media players and most weekends you'll be able to watch a stream of most prem matches live for free. Saw 90% of Everton's matches last season on it, except they didn't show the match v Portsmouth where Everton won 3-0 for some strange reason ;). There are other sites doing the same thing too, which a quick google search will show you further options.