amateur radio

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
David,

assuming your licence is not a M3 piece of paper, your are ok, any class A/B licence with allow you VHF/HF privilages here in France, but be careful, the max power on HF is 500watts (more than the UK not that you would notice) however on 28Mhz the max power is 250watts, operating on 50Mhz is restricted above 50.200 and also 160mtrs is a very narrow allocation here, you are best to contact the REF (French RSGB) and and get a copy of 'la NOMENCLATURE' giving you all modes, bands and power levels that apply to you as a resident amateur.David is correct in that you must be resident for 3 months before applying for a licence during which time you sign as F/ Callsign / P.Note  /A does not exist anymore!!

Most important point is apply to OFcom for a HAREC 'BEFORE' you leave the UK, without this piece of paper your sunk, you need this as the French demand a copy of it, CEPT rules only apply for a short stay.

Remember the band plan, there a couple of UK hams on F5V callsigns one in particular who is under investigation of breaching his licence conditions, you are in France, you have to adhere to their rules, with regard to power and band plans.

Look up your local club and go say hello, you will be pleasantly suprised with the welcome!!!

Good luck

Sorry if i'm just being dumb but I can't see where one is supposed to apply for the HAREC certificate. Never heard of it until now BTW.

I have left UK but still retain an accommodation address so is there any problem in acquiring said piece of paper ?

I'd hate to say goodbye to my licence even though I haven't been active for a good number of years [:(]

Ernie,

Don't really know what is meant by HAREC either but if you apply to OFCOM they will let you have a ceritified copy of your licence which is what is required by the French licensing authorities. (Which is what I did after moving to France).

A HAREC is exactly that Ernie, a European cover note essentially allowing you to apply for a full recepricol licence in another country/state, you as you have stated get them for free, it makes the process of obtaining a French license easier and quicker.

http://www.anfr.fr/doc/docenligne/IND.pdf

The link for the paper download for applying for a French licence

A link you may find interesting as you have been off the air for a period of time regarding licensing from OFCOM.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/licensing/classes/amateur/

The reason a HAREC is worth having is because your paper UK license its also in French and makes the job of obtaining your F1V.. call quicker

Point taken, by the by the gentlemens own admission subsequently 'he was a bit dumb'!!

Definition being moving from England where you get a free licence for life to France where you pay €46 p.a.....
go figure for less bandwidth on 160m/40m/6m and less power on 10m!!

My apologies for getting the names mixed up

Post edited by a moderator

No need to rub it in guys [:'(] 

Even though I've been inactive I've always kept my licence up and have had the annual validations sent to my previous UK and according to Ofcom's site:

"If you already hold a valid annual licence (i.e. you are an existing licensee) you will automatically receive a new lifetime licence by post free of charge. It is intended that you will receive your replacement lifetime licence a few weeks before your old (annual) licence is due to expire. You will not be required to pay for this new licence."

The thing is I don't recall getting that so I was trying to find out what I needed to do to get this HAREC thing and I have to say that I found Ofcom's site rather confusing.

I have still got my C&G RAE pass certificate from way back in 1973 and as far as I know I'm still in the RSGB callbook, maybe someone who has access to that could confirm it for me, plus as I say my licence was current up to Aug 2007.

I will contact Ofcom after the weekend and see what I need to do.

Ernie

G8HOR

[quote user="ErnieY"]

No need to rub it in guys [:'(] 

Even though I've been inactive I've always kept my licence up and have had the annual validations sent to my previous UK and according to Ofcom's site:

"If you already hold a valid annual licence (i.e. you are an existing licensee) you will automatically receive a new lifetime licence by post free of charge. It is intended that you will receive your replacement lifetime licence a few weeks before your old (annual) licence is due to expire. You will not be required to pay for this new licence."

The thing is I don't recall getting that so I was trying to find out what I needed to do to get this HAREC thing and I have to say that I found Ofcom's site rather confusing.

I have still got my C&G RAE pass certificate from way back in 1973 and as far as I know I'm still in the RSGB callbook, maybe someone who has access to that could confirm it for me, plus as I say my licence was current up to Aug 2007.

I will contact Ofcom after the weekend and see what I need to do.

Ernie

G8HOR

[/quote]

Ernie, i was not taking the p~~s, best bet is just phone OFCOM give them your UK address for receipt of the HAREC (they will not send it to France) once you have this attach it with the application from, proof of address in France for at least 3 months (edf/france telecom bill) and the €46 and your away, be prepared to wait though, if i were you i would get it done sonner rather than later, come the summer holidays it will take forever to get the damn thing processed

Good luck, see you on the air, good timing as cycle 24 has started!!!

Thanks for the tips.

In all honesty I have more than enough to be getting on with in France without worrying whether I get a licence this year, next year, or the year after that, who knows, it's entirely possible that I may never go back on air, but the one thing I didn't want to happen was to lose my licence and therefore the choice and the opportunity [:(]