Bridge : Michel Lebel 'Majeur 5e' bidding system

We played bridge here for a while and they seem to use the basic Acol system, familiar in the UK, which includes the 5 card major convention. So any basic Acol book will cover their system.

We have a book "All about Acol" by Cohen and Lederer.

I also found one on Amazon in the master bridge series "5card Major - Stayman" by Ron Klinger, but I haven't read that.

We enjoyed the bridge club but eventually stopped going as it finished so late.

ps just thought - do you mean an opening bid of 5 of a major suite?

Thanks, patf. I was beginning to think nobody played bridge here. I last played about 40 years ago in England using Acol.

Michel Lebel seems to be the dominant influence on the club bridge scene at least. He calls his system 'La Nouvelle Super Majeur Cinquieme' and describes it as ''le bridge standard francais'. It's strongly oriented towards finding a fit in a major suit. If you have opening values and a 5-card major it's practically compulsory to bid it; however, there are loads of conventional bids that I find make it difficult to find sensible contracts in a minor.

Here's a commentary on him from a different point of view.

Comme l'avait annoncé la rédaction du "Bridgeur": à tout seigneur à tout honneur et on va le voir : quel seigneur ! : Michel Lebel !
On le sait, je déteste la majeure cinquième car elle m'ennuie. Je déteste surtout le monopole que la F.F.B. lui a donné et je déteste enfin l'exploitation au delà du ridicule qu'en a faite Michel Lebel "La nouvelle majeure cinquième", "La super majeure cinquième", "La nouvelle super majeure cinquième", "La mini super majeure cinquième", etc. etc...
Evidement, il faut bien vivre et, faute de rester créatif, on est conduit à se répéter.

http://le.gagneux.chez-alice.fr/edito22.htm

Well Lebel's influence hadn't reached Mirande, Gers, when we were playing there. It was just the familiar Acol system.

Maybe it has by now. Can't make head nor tail of it! I know there's a lot of bridge snobbery.

Do you play in one of the bigger towns?

• 4 months later...
Yes

I have a large PDF file with the 5 card majeur explained in english. It is heavey reading but probally better than trying in French. I will e-mail it to you if you wish.

In my part of France ( Aquitaine ) everyone plays the french system. You could play with a Acol partner but you would be forever alerting.

In my opinion it is quite different to ACOL.

if you would like the pdf let me know your e-mail

• 1 month later...

I came across your offer whilst researching Majeur 5eme. I've been dragooned into playing bridge & not having played for many years thought I nededed to re-familiarise myself with my partner's system. I played Majeur 5eme in SW france about 35 years ago & I know how different it is to ACOL, which I used for many years.

I would be grateful for a copy of your PDF file.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

Thanks in advance

• 3 years later...
  • 8 years later...
7 hours ago, Faith said:

To Patrick K 

If i could have the document you refer to above I would be extremely grateful. 

Patrick hasn't posted here in 13 years so I doubt he's still looking at the forum. I suggest you pm him. If his email address is still valid he'll get an alert.