peche a pied

I'm off to Brittany again in a few weeks and really want to have a go at digging out some clams and shellfish in the bay, along with the hundreds of others who do this when the tide is out.

Does anyone know the best place to get one of those nifty clam digger things?  Lots of people seem to use something that looks like a modified hand fork - 3 long prongs that are bent towards the end.  I've never seen/noticed these before - any ideas, anyone?

As a resident here I would suggest too that you check with the local mairie where you wish to collect your shellfish etc as there are many outbreaks of gastro toxins here all the time and collection is banned in many areas. Also there are strict rules now on the quantities and size of items you may take, you only have to look at the bay here at weekends and holidays to see the crowds raking for cockles and couteau and the gendarmes making regular checks!

Thanks, both.  The local tourist info have a leaflet with just these things, including a handy size guide for the different creatures to be found.  I noticed back in April that there were signs up further down the estuary making it clear that peche au pied was not permitted because of the algae problems, but at the top end of the peninsula it was okay.  I guess that's why, even in mid April, it was very busy.  I only want to get enough clams for one meal of spaghetti vongole rather than filling a freezer so I won't be having a great environmental impact!  This may also lessen considerably if my clam digging talents are non-existent!

On the western side of the St Jacut peninsula, from the plage de la banche and northwards, out towards the sea.  The oyster beds start at this point, though they are close to the deeper channel that still has some flow up to full low tide.  It's on the doorstep of our place over there and, being a lazy devil, I shan't go any further afield than this. I shouldn't need to, judging by how popular it is.

Check the tides, vivienz. You obviously want to be digging at , or just before, "basse mer" to be as far out as possible, while keeping in mind the time you should be heading back to shore to avoid being cut off by rising water. And try and choose a day with maximum "coefficient" figure (also shown on the tide table), which indicates the spring tides - periods when the tides are lower (and higher) than in periods of neap tide.

A wire basket would also be useful, to hold your booty and let the water drain out.

I think basically you are allowed to collect enough for one meal - rather than to fill your freezer...

Angela

Hey, Vivienz, pleased to see that you are getting .....er...stuck in with your 3-pronged thingy and enjoying some of the local pursuits from your new home from home.

I'm not much of a sea person even though I lived on the Welsh heritage coast for about a decade and a half.  I'm more a mountain person but I can see the attraction of the sea and I wish you many happy holidays in St Jacut[:D]