Potato question

Jsensiba

Planted potatoes about two weeks ago. Planted more stuff today adn had a look at the potato patch. Started to weed, but oopsie, one of the weeds is a potato. Looked again and begorrah the things are coming up.

Is something wrong? Seems awfully rapid to me.

Julia of the veg patch with forty four lettuces

If you have planted spuds in the same patch as last year its probably last years spuds that you failed to clear when you dug it over.

I have given up on buying seeds I now buy young plants of everything I want to grow in exactly the right numbers. This way I don't have the usual problem of a glut and trying to decipher weeds from plants. The exception is beans and these I don't have a problem with growing from seed. I know its more expensive than buying packets of seeds but life is too short etc..

LAST EDITED ON 10-May-04 AT 10:40 AM (BST)

Righty ho! The potatoes are now covered with a nice layer of dirt.

Thank you for all the input, really helps.

It looks as if one of my tomato plants has the dreaded blight.

Julia

Aaah phooey, the things are coming up again. Time for more dirt. At this rate with dirt and grass dumped on the potatoes there will be a small mountain in the veg patch. I should have tried white asparagus.

Julia of the pickaxe and dirtbags

• 3 weeks later...
Have covered the taters three times - and even bunged some grass clippings on top. The things are now about six inches tall. When they have flowers - do I pick them or wait until the flowers die off?

I'll plant another lot after I pick these.

I'm down to twenty five lettuces now! Tomatoes have at least flowers on them and the beets seem to be 'coming along'.

Julia