cheap, fast growing hedge

Elensw

I have about 50 metres that i need to place a hedge along. In my French houses in the past i have used conifers but they are expensive and for me, dont seem to grow at the wild rate they are known for. Can any one recommend a cheap, fast growing type of hedge?

thanks!

We planted Eliagnouses (forgive me, I have no idea how you spell that). I bought them at a local grower's market in Carpentras. They were about a meter tall when I bought them, two years ago. They are now double and in some cases triple in height and much rounded. They also have nice smelling blooms a couple of times per year. I paid 2 euros each for them. They have grown at an exceptional rate for us. Even during last summer's heat wave and living in a water hungry region, they still look great..

Good luck.

This is not about hedging plants but about how you plant them as I think you have some very good suggestions below.

We have inherited a laylandi hedge (which I hate) but last year it did not go brown and die like most of them in this area and it grows like stink. The reason is that the chap who planted it put a good amount of something into the soil (probably well rotted muck) and after planting covered the area in plastic (not a good idea but Mipex or another weed supressing barrier would be ace). He then covered the plastic over with a mulch. Now all this conserves the water in summer and does a little to keep the soil warmer in winter - all things to make the ruddy laylandi grow even faster. He also put a 'leaky' hose under the plastic but we have never used that and he was not here much to use that so I am pretty sure that the mipex and mulch, done in the spring or autumn when the ground is already damp would help to keep the plants alive, save you work and give you a bigger and better hedge in less time.

We now have ivy growning over the plastic so you cannot see it and the whole hedge which is only about 3 years old is a haven for birds and wildlife - blackbirds, sparrows and hedgehogs are the ones who seem to enjoy it most.

Best of luck and I hope you get a wonderful hedge.

Di
http://www.iceni-it.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

hi, last year i took about two hundred Laurel tips (cuttings) put them into biggish pots and tried to forget about them, this autum i will plant them out (about a 2 foot now) in rows. It only needs trimming once a year, keeps the deep glossy leaf all year round, flowers in spring and grows super fast in pretty much all conditions.