Holes not moles.

Jaybee

Hi, our front garden is littered with hundreds of holes, some of then are not so small either, as the holes go down and not up as with moles anyone got a clue what they are. I think maybe mice or voles, if so what to do, have seen no trace of any thing or droppings etc. Even my dog shows no interest, I wonder if whatever made them has moved on, if so we will just fill up the holes, but being rather soft hearted and as I say they do not cause any mischief I don't want to suffocate the little blighters. What do you think.

Sadly just filling in the holes will not kill them off - just get used to the fact that there is a complete underground city beneath your feet.

We seem to have hundreds of holes of all shapes and sizes - the residents include grass snakes, toads, mice that tunnel under the veg patch and eat leeks etc from below and of course moles + who knows what else.

John
http://www.iceni-it.co.uk

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I used to gather up about 40 litres of mole soil a day which was great for making the flower beds before we moved to live here. When we moved we bought our cat with us and in 12 months all my moles have gone (along with most of my lizards tails).

A cat will work.

Terry

We've got them as well (St Martin des Noyers 85!!) The garden sometimes looks like a crazy golf course.

All I have seen are tiny little voles scurrying across the lawn you can even hear them running around under the plastic membrane we have put down.

However last year we has a very large clutch of snake eggs, presumably they hatched after we returned home.

The result seems to be no voles this year! 

Jax

[quote]Hi, our front garden is littered with hundreds of holes, some of then are not so small either, as the holes go down and not up as with moles anyone got a clue what they are. I think maybe mice or vol...[/quote]

These holes are mole holes.  They are also responsible for the 5-6 cm round holes that 'go downwards'.  Some cats do deter them - some don't.  Grazing a horse works but that's not very useful if you are looking for a lawn!