Barkless poplars

Racerbear02

I have a number of large poplars in my little wood and at the start of the year I noticed that one appeared to have lost most of its bark around the bottom, assuming that it was dead I cut it down.

I was just reviewing the damage caused by the pre christmas storms in the wood when I noticed another naked tree, this time all the bark appeared to have peeled away from higher up the trunk and was lying around the base of the tree like a sunburst, sill attached (loosely) at the bottom.

Do I have a problem here or is it something they do, sorry to sound a bit thick but I have not come across this sort of thing before.

Hi Racerbear

Sounds dreadful..

Is there any fungus anywhere.. particularly honey bracket fungus (looks like half a diner plate)?

You are sure that this a disease and not the result of animals( you see the nibble marks).

If it is a disease the it is coming from the roots and the affected trees are doomed (with no bark they will die for sure).

The problem is not to let the other trees get the disease as well (if indeed thats what it is), or you'll have a lot of standing firewood instead of a nice forest.

Without a pic I am afraid I could only guess..

Regards

Andrew