Rooting for powder in France

maxsan

[quote]Hi Does anyone know what a French equivalent for rooting powder is and any tips on what to look for in the gardening section of LeClercs ? thanks[/quote]

Hi,

Good news. It definitely exists.

Bad news, neither Jacquie nor I can remember what it's called.

I think one of the big chemical gardeing product companies sell it and it's got "Bouture" (cutting) in the name. Look around near the "engrais" fertiliser section.

Thanks to both replies, at least I have a start!!. 

My neighbour has a huge bay leaf tree which overhangs my garden.  I have recently noticed some quite strong, but small shoots  have seemingly taken in the ground on my side, but I need to move them as I am currently clearing the border, which already houses a large fig tree.  So being a novice gardener I thought I might "move" these new wee trees and see if they take further down my garden, but rooting powder seems to keep coming up in conversations regarding moving and transplanting!! hence the question.  Thanks again,

I do loads of cuttings and don't bother with rooting powder if you can't get it. I used to use it but found it was not much better and worse for some plants (pelargonums [summer geraniums]). Take loads of cuttings, some will take and so it goes. I have a Readers Digest gardening book from the 70's and this seems much better than the modern ones for instructions for taking cuttings.

Rooting powder is made from the willow tree in America and just as a try we took about 8 (weeping) willow branches (thin and whippy, that years and yellow) and stuck them in the ground in the autumn - we did nothing to them - just stuck them in the ground. As far as we can see they have all taken as they are in flower and will be moved in the autumn to their final positions.

Please let us know if you find and where so that we can add it to our list of knowledge, the odds are that there is something out there that I will need to do one day that will need rooting compound.

Finally, last year we cut back our forsythia and obviously did not clear up all the bits that got cut off, one has rooted into the bank below our hedge. As we need more hedging it will be moved and when I cut the flowering bits back on the other plants I am going to take more cuttings - I have never seen plants take the way that they do here. Hope that this is helpful.