Professional Gardeners...what do you use?

zeb

Didn't get much response to a previous question directed at professional gardeners in France but will try again as I know there are many of you earning a crust this way!!

Just wondered if you buy expensive equipment geared towards commercial use (as opposed to domestic once a week use) or if you buy cheap?

I've just wrecked another mower hitting a mostly submerged metal pipe for a twirly washing line. Funds won't allow an expensive machine (there is the danger of equipment costing more than one can earn) so I'm thinking about buying cheapo and replacing annually. I have three mowers - small (a brilliant little honda), medium (expensive and just wrecked) and a secondhand domestic ride on. The ride on needs to be replaced at the end of the season but do I get a mortgage and buy a John Deere or equivalent (and risk permanent damage on a hidden rock) or go cheap?

Yes, I do walk the ground before mowing at a new client's garden and mostly have no problems but this is France and lawns here are usually reclaimed fields!

Just a thought Zeb, can you claim on either your professional insurance or the garden owners? - if they have hidden objects that you can't detect on a walk round is it their responsibility if your equipment gets wrecked? 

I only cut my own but have a cheapy bestgreen sit on from Bricomarche now 7 years old and bless it's heart it's cut proper fields with marsh grass and hit numerous rocks and mole hills over the years and been bashed into edges - I'm none to agile on it, still goes like a train and the cutter deck is still in one piece.

Buns

i have a hydrolastic suspension cutter which raises it self if you start cutting too low.i did have damage to cutter but this was due to imbedded branch in ground.

another trick is to cut half height required on first cut then go over area with cutter dropped -at least you might find rocks or recently fallen branches.etc.before the main cut

This is a knotty problem... The first outing with my Honda pro I turned my blade into a corkscrew hitting a leylandii stump. I now include a clause in my contract under 'health and safety' in which the client must state whether any hidden obstacles exist and if damage to my machine from failing to identify such then they will be charged for the repairs.

Also, I have heard of a rough cutter or debroussiouse autoportee which uses flails of wire. This is my kind of machine! I have a cheap (700E) rough cutter now and use it for all long or unfamiliar grass.