aquilegia

Chauffour

most perennials are happy to be cut back to allow a 2nd show of flowers, does anyone know if the same applies to aquilegia?

I guess I should keep the first seeds as these should be the most robust..or will the 2nd set self-seed as usual and still give good plants for the future?

thanks

Any I have had have only flowered in the Spring.

I get the seeds then, and sow them immediately, the foliage grows up, but no flowers, then they die down and come up flowering the next year. I suppose the varieties I have had have been Bi-Annuals, not Perennials.

We've got loads and loads of these all different colours and never touch them from one year to another as they self-seed. They have been out in flower for about five weeks now and will continue, watering permitting for most of the summer here as the sea mists do wonders.

[quote]most perennials are happy to be cut back to allow a 2nd show of flowers, does anyone know if the same applies to aquilegia? I guess I should keep the first seeds as these should be the most robust..o...[/quote]

I quite often cut them back and I cannot recall that they ever flower a second time in the same year. I obvously must miss a few as they still self seed to some extent but the original plants keep going as well.

Liz (29)