what happens if we dont mow the field

Woody

I have a large field which needs to be mown alot but because we only go to france in the holidays its hard to control.we have a farmer that cuts the grass sometimes but we have to pay alot of money.what would happen if we just left the grass to grow 

From what we have heard it may be a bit of a risk to let a farmer use your field as he may then have acquired rights over it after a time.

When we bought this house the previous owner had to get a letter signed by the farmer that had grazed sheep in our field saying that he gave up any such rights.

We also find it a bit of a pain mowing the field at 8 litres of petrol and 2hrs minimum of time not to mention the wear and tear on the mower but the locals would not like the weeds propagating into their fields not to mention what might lurk in the long grass!..........................John not Jackie

We have two fields totalling four acres and our farmer neighbour takes the hay off for us.  No money changes hands, he takes what he wants and we keep some although won't bother this to keep any this year because we still haven't got round to livestock.

Just let it grow, there's probably the same paucity of natural enviroments here as there is in the UK resulting in the loss of numerous varieties of wildflower and life dependent on them. You could even research it a bit and find out what wildflowers need reintroducing in France there's probably some group dedicated to this. Wildflowers (from seed) will only thrive on uncultivated land anyway. I leave an area of my garden wild, just cutting a path through it so we can watch the wildlife in there up close, the butterflies love it.

Don't just let it grow - you won't get a field full of lovely wildflowers.  You'll end up with grass up past your waste and it will looks messy and brown.  Tall grass becomes dead and isn't green.  The new green grass under it is smothered.  When the winds come the long grass will be pushed down to ground level and will produce a thick mat of dead grass.  Wildflowers and new grass can't get through it, then it's even harder to cut.

To get a wildflower field, you have to manage it... cutting it twice a year to allow the seeds to drop and then thrive without being strangled.  You don't get one through neglect.

50 euros is what I pay for the local friendly farmer to come and cut it down.  If you do it fairly regularly, it won't need to be collected and will return to the earth naturally.

Good luck!

Where I live there is a regulation that says that fields must be cut before July 14 to stop thistles proliferating.   I would guess that it is the same in most areas.   Find a farmer who can cut it for you.  We pay 25 euros for about an acre.