Japanese something.

I've just looked in search and seen something on Japannese knotweed, but I don't think it's what I have. It's a tall plant with very stubborn roots, called japanese something. Neigbours have it as a hedge but it is shooting up all over the place. Bright green and about 2 metres high. I want to put decking in the area it's growing, dies off to bare branches I believe are good for burning. I attack it all the time, but it still grows. Please how do I get rid of it? Thank you. Molly

I am pretty sure you do have japanese knotweed, french name is renouée du japon, it is very invasive and control is extremely difficult, it can reproduce vegetatively as well as by seed, cut sections of stem can regrow as well as broken bits of root. dig the area thoroughly removing as much root as possible (which should be burnt) then treat regularly with glyphosate (roundup) it may take several years to clean the area, and added problem is that roots can remain dormant for several years before starting to grow again. no short term win I'm afraid.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]I've just looked in search and seen something on Japannese knotweed, but I don't think it's what I have. It's a tall plant with very stubborn roots, called japanese something. Neigbours have it as a h...[/quote]

A bit late posting to this but Jap Knotweed has red vertical stips on the stems. Mine is definetly french at least 4 generations. I am winning the war. Most effective solution I have found is to cut off the growth approx 20 - 30 cms above ground and insert a spike down the inside of the hollow stem to be low ground level breaking the internal knuckles of the stem. (like bamboo cane) remove spike then pour neat round up down the stem. It gets the stuff down to the roots more quickly rather than spraying the leaves and waiting for it to be absorbed into the plant.

Obviously spay all young / new shoots when approx 50 cms high.

Burn all the stuff you cut down straight away.

Colin