Water restrictions in Haute Vienne

chocccie

How can I save the shower water?  Do you buy a big bucket and place it in the shower and stand in it when you shower?  Really, I'm serious.  I would like to save the water I can, but I'm not sure how this is done.  Also, when you say use natural products, what exactly does that mean?  Is there a natural shampoo I can use or do I have to remove the bucket from the shower when I'm washing my hair.

Don't laugh, I really would like to do this, but have never had to in the past, so don't know the "how to's."

Please advise.

Good for you Lori!!

Why don't you try a "sailor's shower"?  First switch on the shower and get your body and hair wet quickly. Then shampoo (people always seem to use FAR too much shampoo - I blame the tv adverts showing those mountains of hair froth!) ... switch the shower back on and quickly rinse of most of the shampoo and repeat.

You'll be using SO much less water than usual. 

Then you could put a nice new muck bucket in the shower, jump in, wash your body and then you'd have that water to use on the garden.  Just keep switching the water on and off as you need it, rather than having it pouring out constantly.

Yes, this will entail about ten seconds effort on your part, but water is very precious and we need to use it carefully.  You must be very careful though, and if you're not steady on your feet don't do it.  And if you're drunk, definately don't do it! 

You can buy shampoos that are designed for those who will be washing in rivers, so they are ultra eco-friendly.  Any natural soaps will be fine - ie, not the additive laden rubbish you get in the supermarket (there are loads of websites selling lovely natural soaps.)

All the best

PS - remember folks, when brushing your teeth, don't let the water pour down the drain whilst you're brushing.  Turn it off when your brush isn't underneath it.

Thanks Chocccie.  I already keep the water off when brushing, except to rinse the brush, but I had not thought of doing the same thing in the shower.  I will start immediately.  And, I have a large bucket in the garage.  I will give it a try in the shower.  I'm sure you're right, one needs to have good balance for this, but these days, I think we have to do every thing we can.

I'll look for the natural soap/shampoos. 

Thanks.