Freezing Fruit Juice

Gabe

Now I know that this is going to sound stupid, but, can you freeze freshly squeezed fruit juice ? We have lots of different fruit trees, admittedly slightly unloved at the moment, and a glut of fruit which we do not want to waste.

Also does anybody have any good ideas for a glut of figs ? The fruit are wonderful at the moment, but there are only so many a person can safely eat.

It is certainly possible to freeze fruit juice, and it is on sale at least to the trade and through brands such as Minute Maid. I've no idea if it has emulsifiers added, or whether or not it can be done at home, but it can certainly be done. Google finds lots of recipes/techniques for freezing fruit, but none for fruit juice (that I found) so it may be more industrial than domestic.

I used to buy cartons of frozen orange juice, and most of what you buy in supermarkets has been frozen - it certainly freezes! Whether or not it needs some sort of additive and what the techniques are I don't know.

Google 'frozen orange juice' if you don't believe me. Have a look at this forum:

http://www.recipelink.com/mf/7/1179

Hi.I make fig jam,make fig crumble (often throwing other fruit with it too)-this freezes well, and make chutney.You can also freeze figs on a tray then just pop them into bags when frozen-great to throw in casseroles etc in the middle of winter! I have to be inventive with grapes and pomegranates too !! They are all yummy

Hello,

I poached figs for about 5 mins in a light syrup, then froze them, did the peaches that way too. So you dont lose all the food value, hadnt thought about freezing the figs whole though, must try that too. I have also just frozen some juice, fruit and vegetable, but havent defrosted it, hmm! I`ll keep my fingers crossed.

Aileen

• 2 weeks later...

OOOOh yes! Fig icecream sounds yummy.

Found a tree with very small figs down in our field yesterday, so this year will freeze as suggested and put into a casserole in the winter. Just a silly question- what type or flavour of casserole is best please? Next year will make the icecream, but on the other hand have just seen figs in the supermarket............

OK - here follows very scrummy (and easy) recipe for fig ice cream!!!

500g fresh figs cut into quarters

125g caster sugar

125ml muscat or sweet wine (muscat is best)

125ml double cream (I use the creme entiere fluide)

Place figs and sugar into food processor and blitz until creamy. Add wine and cream and mix. 

The next bit is upto the individual - you can either put it into an ice cream maker and churn (in mine it takes approx. 30 mins).  Alternatively, place in plastic box and put in freezer, after a few hours mix and then repeat this process until ready.

Then eat - delicious served with an almond and fruit tart!!!!