Stumped

Bannon

Any idea gardening guys on how to get rid of a tree stump? I have tried hacking around the roots but the ****** still keeps growing. It needs to come out as it's in the way of a proposed patio. Copper nails have been mentioned.... but does this work and how long does it take?

Two other trees I have in the garden are dead and I have plans to cut one down to a level for use as a bird table, and the other to remain as a sort of stake to grow either roses up it or honeysuckle.

I looked at TF, most of the postings were " YES we have one like that too, I was wondering what to do as well"

One sensible suggestion was to get a stump grinder, but if it is  hard wood tree you will be there all day and you need to very careful with green wood with those things, the other one was to dig it up,  which unless you have a friendly neighbour with a big tractor and chain,  is what you may have to do.

A lot depends on the type of tree and why it is a stump.  Yours is alive so it was chopped down.  You can kill it off by drilling deep large holes in the top and pouring Roundup or brush wood killer in the holes, but this takes time to get through to the roots and then for the tree to die and rot.  IF you want it out of the way quickly without having a tractor and chain, you will have to dig it out, you must get to and and cut the tap root.  Did all around the roots and sever every root you find and try rocking it from side to side, it will get easier as you go, finally you will see the tap root, cut through that  et voila

Hello, Just ask your local arboriculturalist about his 'service dessouchment'... its alot less trouble... However I do spray the new growth of stumps when it reaches 40cm+ with round-up and this knocks them back, requires about 3 attempts for some.

Mr Travaux publique costs me 45euros per hour to dig up stumps completely but I always get them to use a tracked machine on softer ground if possible. Getting rid of them is then another issue although if there is room I will get him to bury them well or leave them high and dry to burn later when dry or leave in a corner for wildlife to make a home.

There are chemical burns available that use a formula of Sodium chlorate put into drilled holes and them light with petrol.

Hope this is of some help...

I got rid of one for a neighbour by using a method my grandad told me about MANY years ago.

Drill lots of holes in the stump top using a brace and bit, or a flat wood bit, as deep as you can. Remove drill shavings (??). Pour creosote into the holes, and keep it topped up for a couple of days.

Stump will DEFINITELY die, and the one I did rotted out of the ground within a year. It WAS 2 feet across.

Alcazar

Old fashioned creosote is now banned in Europe and I'm not sure that the stuff with the same name that's sold now will have the same effect.  Bet you can get the old stuff somewhere in 24 though!

Just a point, Roundup and similar treatments don't rot the roots.  They are systemic stump killers which do kill everything off when you drill or chip holes for the crystals to go in but the stump and roots stay there - dead but there and it says that in the box also.  Easier to dig out though, been using the stuff on and off for years.

Small tip - if you go down the Roundup route, drill the hole, buy a cheap bag of wine bottle corks and put a cork into the hole after you've put the crystals in - stops it being washed away.  

Thanks guys. Looks like I will have to knuckle down and carry on digging it out. Seems like I have a clump of around four trees six inches (don't.... get me started on metric) in diameter. I have a trench around it now about 18 inches deep and hope to start hacking away under it soon. Trouble is, the chickies think I'm digging for worms and insist on helping.

Going to have a nice big hole by the look of things.  A pond perhaps?

• 4 weeks later...

Have you tried removing the black powder from fireworks?

put it in an old 'baccy' tin put in a simple fuse.

light-run like hell.

Not good near windows- cattle-or people you like.

Dont let the kids see you building it.

No, I'm not a latent bomber.

good luck