cobbles and pebbles

candide

Does anybody know where in France to buy decorative cobbles or pebbles for landscaping use, particuarly around a swimming pool?  Have done an extensive internet search but can only find different types of gravel.  I am really looking for rounded / washed pebbles that won't hurt the feet.  Am in dept 17, but would be prepared to go further afield to get them.  Would be grateful for any ideas.  Thanks!

Thanks for your suggestions, and I have tried 'galets' but like you have only come up with these sorts of tiles of pebbles.  What I'm really after is bags of loose pebbles which I can tip into a big pile as part of the pool landscaping.

Is there a suitable river near you ?

I've seen locals with baskets helping themselves to piles of stones from the river near St Julien de Lampon. I suppose if you didn't want too many, this sort of thing might be a possibility.

Hoddy

We have a pebble beach around our pool part of the garden (it's actually more like [url=http://dordogne-garden.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/]Chesil Beach![/url]).

Our builder sourced the pebbles from the local sand/gravel etc company, they were called 'galets de riviere' if that helps with your search.

Clicked on your link Suze.  Lovely pool!That's exactly the effect I have in mind with the pebbles.  Can you tell me if you had your 'plages' done by just a regular macon, or was it done by the pool installers, as I want flat margelles like yours and 'dalles' butting up to them and nobody seems to want to take on the job - I can't work out why.

Oh- one other question has just occurred to me.  On one side of your pebble beach the pebbles are held in place by the paving.  What retains them on the other side, or do you just let them spill over into the lawn?

[quote user="candide"]Oh- one other question has just occurred to me.  On one side of your pebble beach the pebbles are held in place by the paving.  What retains them on the other side, or do you just let them spill over into the lawn?[/quote]

There is a run of edging slabs where the pebbles finish to retain them on one side from the other part of the garden (and I am currently planting out the other side of it) and on the other sides they run up to the laurel hedging and fencing at the back.

The slabs we used are Pierra (brand) Florence (style) specifically because they had the flat margelles (but it was also our favourite choice of texture and colour) , personally we don't like the raised margelles and it was better for the abri to sit on.  This is their website [url=http://www.pierra.com/fr/produits/dallages/florence.html]Pierra[/url]

We used an excellent local building company to build the pool, install a new fosse septique and do all the hard landscaping all at the same time.  It was complete chaos this time last year - very stressful but worth it in the end.