Grubs in compost?

Jonzjob

I have a feeling that I have seen this thread before? But like the Titanic, all the listings seem to start after the sinking of the old forum format?

My other 1/2 was looking through the compost bin yesterday to see if it's ready to use yet. She found a boat load of grubs.... They are about 1 1/2 inches long by 3/8 to 1/2 inch diameter, whitish with a dark inner bit seen through their translucent bum end. They have 6 tiny legs at the front end and are so fat that the legs are no use unless they are in something like the compost. We are trying to find out what they are and do they do harm or good?

Any ideas will be most welcome!!!

I have tried to post a photo from my camera. I have read the post on posting photos, but 1. I haven't got a photo bucket (gerden buckets, no problem?). It was reduced from a 1.2 meg file to 72k using Photoshop Pro 8 and if I try to copy/paste I don't get the paste option. If I drag it from Win Explorer all I get is the photo in it's own window and the forum vanishes and only the 'back' button brings it back.......

John.

[quote user="Rayring"]These sound like cockchafer or maybug larvae. They are quite harmless in compost where they live for 3-4 years before developing into the adult beetles which fly about in the evenings in early summer. Regards Ray[/quote]

Cock chafers????? EEEEEEEK !

If I find any of THOSE B8ggers they will be SO dead!

Alcazar[:D]

If that is what they are, yes they live happily in your compost.

But aren't these the fellas that eat roots of young plants if you don't remove them when using the compost for planting? Is that what Alcazar is going all murderous about?

Alcazar

Hi Alcazar, I think that you can put your shotgun away for now.As I had a bit of time I did a search on google and it appears that they aren't cockchafer but rose chafer. We found a very good site, have a look   http://maria.fremlin.de/stagbeetles/larva-guide/ .Iy gives a good comparason of the 2 different makes. One of the main differences is that c/chafers don't live in compost heaps.

The summer before we moved over here we had a boatload of trouble with cockchafers both in our garden and on the 1200 acres of Rodborough and Minchinhampton Commons. We were pulling up great lumps of turf in the garden, just like carpet tiles (not square though) and finding hundreds of these little sods underneath. Up on the Commons there were acres of grass ripped up by birds and badgers feeding on them. There is an 18 hole glof course (not a smelling mastike) on Minchinhampton Common and it spoiled a lot of the greens (oh dear, what a shame?!). It would appear that the 'go word' for getting rid of them is nematodes! Tiny worms that you buy and water into the grass in the Spring or Autumn. Totally organic and supposed to be very effective. we didn't use them, we did it the hard way and dug the little sods out and reseeded most of our smallish lawn. I had a great deal of pleasure burning them, if fact nearly as much pleasure as I get from burning pine processionary caterpillars here...[6]

Relieved John.

P.S. The rose chafer beetles look beautiful, a lovely metalic green.

Hi chris, you posted your reply as I was tryping mine. As a matter if interest, you would have a hard time convincing Frances (OH) that a mossie flying around the bedroom in the dark just as we are trying to get to sleep is anything but BAD!!!

That web site is very interesting ain't it?

John.

Not relevant to the grubs, but to keep mossies out of the bedroom make

a lightweight wooden frame as an insert for the window and cover it

with fine mesh netting you get from DIY stores. Can't remeber the name

- moustie something. It really works. Pat.

Hi Pat,

The only problem with that idea for us is that our bedroom window is 4 x 2.2 meters patio door and we sleep with the internal bedroom door open. Patio door too in the summer.

I feel a lot better about those grubs now. They used to eat the cock-chafer beetles either suger or chocolate coated. Not something I would crawl across a thousand miles of broken glass for[+o(]!!!

John.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Alcazar

Hi Alcazar, I think that you can put your shotgun away for now.As I had a bit of time I did a search on google and it appears that they aren't cockchafer but rose chafer.P.S. The rose chafer beetles look beautiful, a lovely metalic green.[/quote]

Sounds OK to me, I don't particularly want my private parts chafed[:D]

Unfortunately, however, my wife's name is Rose-Marie, and she sometimes answers to "Rose". I pity her if they get near her, then.

Alcazar