fig trees and frost

Suee

We bought a fig tree last year and planted it out in a pot in the garden - it's about 4 feet high. I read somewhere they need to be protected from frost - oops! I'm hoping the roots will be OK but any thoughts on whether we'll get any fruit this year?

Hi there!

Yes it's a good idea to protect them from frost if they are in pots but fig trees are usually quite hardy when they are in the soil.  The fig fruits twice a year in warmer climes but in France you would only get the second fruiting on the figs which appear from Spring onwards, so you might be alright.  Fruit ripens from August onwards, depending on the variety and conditions.

If the tree is still alive you would expect to see some signs of life like green buds - even ours in the UK is starting to bud after this cold spell.  If there are no obvious signs of life now, sadly, it is probably no longer with us.

Valerie

We have fig trees in a couple of different gardens,they are established,which possibly makes a difference.They are as tough as old boots- the frost gets them and the leaves drop off in the autumn but they have never failed to come back, one of them especially is a vigorous monster at well over 20' high and almost as wide!! We have figs coming out of our ears (almost!!)- they are the yummy black ones.The other trees seem to produce greener figs and aren't as vigorous.[:D]

Here in N Lot the temp dropped to -10 for a night or two and for the whole of December it did not go above 1 or 2 at any time. The larger of our 2 fig trees in the ground has lost its little figlets which would have been the June/July crop but we are confident that we will still get a bumper harvest in Sept/Oct.

Suggest that you take it out of its pot as they usually grow quickly. Our big one is against the barn wall on the S side and though only 5 or 6 years since it went in is already 10/12 feet high. By way of comparison its little friend bought and planted at the same time is a puny 4 foot stick in the open garden.

HTH

John

and

We have a fig tree in the UK in Buckinghamshire which has survived every winter since the eighties. It loses its leaves at the first sign of a frost and we don't get the over winter crop of figs but get a good crop in September. Usually we have to resort to making fig jam as we have too many to eat. A few years ago I potted up a cutting that I took from a branch that had laid on the ground and rooted. It has survived in the pot without problems and is shooting again this year despite the prolonged cold periods we've had this year.

your fig tree should be ok for fruit this year if my fig trees are anything to go by! They have survived for the last few years during minus degrees and frost in the SW of France.We still are eating our way through bottles of fig conserve from last August

good luck

camellia 

Patience, patience Ms K Kat[;-)]

We had one in Wirral, not far from Wales[:)]

It was very happy in a big pot all year round, but it very young then,and we only got two figs off it. I also saw a big fig tree there which was covered in figs every year

Ours came to France, and now has loads of figs.

My wife put on in a couple of years ago, and it didn't do too well the first year. We were a bit worried about it, but our neighbiour pointed out that they often grow wild on the side of roads, and frost, pollution etc seems not to harm them there.

Sure enough, it came better the next year.

Alcazar

Thanks everyone - I'm really hopeful all will be well. I'll let you know next week. Di and John & Camellia - the tree is in your neck of the woods so I take heart from your replies. We'll be en voyage and en retraite Tuesday (with greenhouse in box in car).

Best wishes to all, relaxed, Sue.