Problem with fig tree

Innocents Abroad

Have been excitedly watching our fig tree (I say tree, but it's more a large shrub) for the last few weeks as the leaf buds and fruit buds have started to show.  This morning we noticed that a lot of the leaves look as if they are being eaten but, despite meticulous inspection, there is no sign of any sort of bugs or larvae.  Also, to our grief, most of the little fruit buds have gone black and are dropping off [:(].  There is part of the bush that still has very healthy looking fruit, and the leaves don’t look as if they’ve been ‘eaten’ quite as much but we're worried that this will also become afftected.    We’ve only been in our house (South Charente) since December last year so don’t know the history of the tree, though we do recall seeing a few fruit on the tree when we came to see the house in September.  I've looked in our Garden Pests & Diseases book but everything it suggests for figs doesn't seem to apply to our problem.  Any suggestions gratefully received.

Pete & Lynd

Hi Chris, thanks for responding. The tree is sited at the west facing end of  a low outbuilding, is quite sheltered from any wind and gets sun most of the day.  Interestingly, perhaps, is that the 'good' side is the one facing south.  I'll take a couple of photo's and post them in the morning. Regards

Pete & Lynd

Hi Chris.  Hurrah, finally managed to figure out how to input photo's - I hope you can see them OK and that they are of some use!  The second, rather blury, photo is attempting to show you a damaged leaf and also a blackened fruit bud that is about to drop off - it's the dark blob on my third finger.  Whilst I was taking the photo's this morning I did think that the bush was actually looking not too bad at all - and there is a lot of, seemingly, healthy new growth (pic 3).  Am I just  being paranoid?  But what about the fruits dropping off?  I read this morning that there are supposed to be fruit buds appear in the Autumn when they then over-Winter and then plump up the following year.  Ours was totally bare over Winter - ? 

I think it's quite common to lose the fruit, especially after a long winter - that blakening and dropping off has happened to mine too, in the past. You may get another crop. [:)]

I don't know about the leaves though. It could be some sort of sawfly (it seems there is a type of these for just about any plant).

Pete & Lynd,   

This is no more than an educated guess and the photo's are handy if a little small. The leaves look as though they have some type of leaf miner, which although unattractive, isn't a problem and will not affect the tree.

Small fig fruits do not always overwinter, it depends on the variety, climate and position of the tree. In Spring the little figs emerge from nodules which are distinct from the leaf buds, not all of them mature, some wither and drop of. These little figs are also vulnerable to frost damage as they start to grow early in the season which can also cause them to die and fall of.

Again, as far as I know, fig trees are robust and do not suffer from any particular diseases, in fact once established they can be difficult to get rid of.

I don't think you have anything to be over concerned about, Chris

Brilliant! Thanks a mill to everyone.  We shall definitely sleep easier tonight and dream of feasting on our own juicy figs!  We also have 8000sq mtrs of walnut trees so figs will now be able to be included in my forthcoming recipe leaflet; 1001 ways with walnuts ! [:D]

P & L

Hi Tresco! I too have a problem fig tree! Mine looks a radiant picture of health and, despite us cutting it down to the recommended two main branches, it still produces dry, sour fruit! What I want to know is are there varieties of fig trees that are grown only for their foliage and not their fruit?

Hi Athene.

There are quite a few different varieties, but I don't know that much about them really. [:$]

I've never pruned mine, as it is planted where it is mainly for foliage, but it still produces good fruit.

I know they shouldn't be fed much, if at all, and they should be planted in a place where their root growth will be restricted. That's about the extent of my knowledge I'm afraid.

I'll have a read up on them later, and hope a fig question appears in the trivia quiz one day [:D]