Fruit picking home made device.

Pun

Well it,s fruit picking time here in dept 23, and my neighbour has shown me a device for picking fruit from the ground and off ladders as you go higher up the trees,

It,s so simple to make and cost next to nothing in materials, So sit up and take note.

materials,

(1) an empty 2litre plastic milk container,

(2) A long strong bamboo cane,

(3) A roll of plastic plant ties (the green stuff you,d cut bits off to secure the plants to sticks etc)

(4) A means of cutting the plastic milk container ie I used a stanley knife.

Cut the container at the bottom of the handle area so you have a square shape container

Now cut 2 slits approx 1 inch apart and about and 4 inch long

secure the bamboo to the container by threading the plastic plant ties through the 2 slits youve made ensuring the bamboo is in the middle of the two slits,

thread enough plant tie to make a good sound holding device,as the fruit will end up in the container,

Now cut a half  round shape at the edge of  the container were the plastic  handle once was,

make a series of these half round shapes about every 3 inch (these are for getting around the fruit stems and pulling the fruit into the container

You should now have a bamboo pole with a plastic container at one end with a series of half rounded cuts all around the open edge and secured ready to put under the fruit and pull to enable you to collect the harvest with ease,

My  nieghbour has used this method for years and it works well,

once made it last for year after year,

good gardening.

I don't suppose that you have a picture of it? Going on the principal of a pikture be like a fousand wordz??? We will be looking for some thing like that when our trees get a bit bigger.

Seriously, it sounds good, but if you could post a picture that would be great.

What a brilliant idea!

I knew there was a reason why I returned to our home with a gone off 2 pints of milk in a square container.  However, I found the instructions too complicated, and couldn't find any ties.  But I didn't cut the handle or top off, but put the cane into the handle from a slit underneath.  I then cut off half the top and some of the side. 

Any way, it works.  Apples are now being collected with much more ease than normal.  Now I need to find a way of pressing the apples for apple juice/cider.  Any ideas?  Will write a new post.... M

Hi  Margaret

If your in the U,K, you can buy a really good fruit press from a company called machine mart, every town seems to have one of these outlets,

I bought mine last january cost about £90-00 all complete, really good value will last for years.

try your local yellow pages.

You're always welcome Pun as is anyone, coffee in the morning, tea in the afternoon and wine when the sun has passed the yard arm! I'm carving tommorrow all day at Benevent L'abbaye, if I'm busy just SHOUT & I'll stop! It's a great three day event and the last day is tomm.

Chris

Chris - here I was thinking you were vodka in the morning, gin in the afternoon and petrol in the evening!  you disappoint me!  [:D]

I've had a fruit collector which is a bag with a plastic scalloped rim (no picture available) on the end of a pole, made by Gardena, for about 15 years.  So I can just about visualise Pun's gizmo.