laurel hadge/trees

sharkhunter

My propagation books doesn't mention growing from fruits, but you can take basal cuttings in Sept.

Take 10cm semi ripe cuttings and root  in a cold frame and plant or pot on in spring. (oh and says to use hormone rooting powder) It also gives it an easy rating!

As for the fruit stick some in a pot 'o' muck and see!

Louise

Hi, thanks for reply, it all sounds so easy ????? I take it that the cuttings will be semi ripe in September? i don't have a cold frame will they do as well under a sheet of glass/perspex leant against a wall and kept frost free, please excuse me if that last question is a wee bit daft, Hugh. [Www]

Hi Hugh

I agree with Lou.  A semi-ripe cutting is a shoot from this year that is starting to harden up but has not got hard bark on it yet - typically mainly green but starting to turn brown as the bark is forming, if you see what I mean.

If you're putting it under glass next to a wall make sure you check it regularly and keep the soil damp - the soil tends to be drier near walls.

Prop two  bits of glass at either end as well otherwise you may create a wind tunnel effect.

A mix of compost, earth and sand (up to a third sand) is good for encouraging rooting.

• 2 weeks later...