Growing Spuds

Mayennaise

Hello

Need some advice please... MOH uses a very old book regarding the above and it talks about 'earlies' and 'main crop'. We have successfully grown Charlottes (which I presume are Earlies) for the past two years but would also like to try something that resembles an masher/roaster type of spud this year.Anyone any ideas please??

I grow Charlotte as an early main crop and find that it stores really well, seems to work well for us as a masher/roaster as well, but hey ho.

Rosabelle is a good early spud in my opinion.

After messing about with other French potatoes these are the two varieties that I've found best.

Chris

I grow Jersey Royals with the seed being shipped across to us here in Normandie from St Helier.  Also known I think as International Kidney?  I grow Accent which I also had shipped a main crop being Bleu d'Auvergne.  However here in Normandie huge problems with lates due to blight and as we do not ever use chemicals or sprays then we tend just to go for earlies.

I am going to plant King Edwards this year as the family love roasters and baked potatoes. I have ordered seeds potatoes from http://www.graines-baumaux.fr/ . I did grow Desiree and Charlotte last year- not sure what happened with the Charlottes but they only stay firm if I steam them- if boiled thay go very floury. I do have very clay soil, does that make a difference to spuds- certainly does with carrots! The Desiree were fine, good alrounders and easily found in Agrial and Pointe Verte.

[quote user="Llwyncelyn"]I grow Jersey Royals with the seed being shipped across to us here in Normandie from St Helier.  Also known I think as International Kidney?  I grow Accent which I also had shipped a main crop being Bleu d'Auvergne.  However here in Normandie huge problems with lates due to blight and as we do not ever use chemicals or sprays then we tend just to go for earlies.[/quote]

Llwyncelyn,

May I ask who you buy your Jersey Royal seed potatoes from?  My mouth started watering at the thought of tasting them once again!

• 4 weeks later...

Try 'Sirtema' as an early. It's a nice floury potato.

I put chitted seed in the poly tunnel in late January, and we are eating them by May. Nice big tubers as well, the later ones are big enough to bake in the oven [if you really want jacket potatoes in July!]

For a maincrop, try Bintje.

I have also tried Red Duke of York which do well. Lots of water needed for all these varieties!

Peter