Sick (er) Olive

Deauville

I posted this originally in about April and it's getting worse, drying out and dropping its leaves but still looking healthy in places - HELP

It's a small olive that was bought in a pot and taken out and planted in cote de bergerac soil - very fertile but claggy when wet and rock hard when dry - it's on a hilltop open to all the elements including a north wind and it spent the winter uncovered. It has been slowly losing its leaves and soon will resemble a burnt bush! It has healthy bits so is not completely dead and we want to save it, has anyone got any rescue tips?

If you think about where olives normally like to be, it's poorish well drained soil, with sunshine, not wet claggy/ rock hard stuff (that sounds like clay - at least, it sounds like the garden I used to have; you could make pots out of the soil!). It probably hasn't put out much in the way of new roots, and is not establishing itself. If it hasn't put out roots, it won't tolerate the wind, either - it can't get moisture or food to its leaves, so it's dropping them. An olive, like any tree, will put up with exposed conditions best if it starts out small and can anchor itslef well in the soil. Try digging it up, putting it back in a nice comfortable pot with well-drained soil, and nursing it back to health. Then look for a better spot for it. Or get yourself a really small tree and start again, keeping your potted one as a pet. Hope this helps.

The ground that it is planted in was once part of a vineyard and as we're surrounded by them I'm not sure that the soil condition is the problem, also the soil seems quite well drained despite how I described it. When we planted it we dug the hole at least twice the size of the original pot and incorporated all the usual compost and fertilizer so I would have thought it had a good chance of rooting

Sorry but claggy when wet and rock hard when dry sounds just like clay and sounds just like waterlogged roots.  The other possibility is that by putting all the usual compost and fertiliser you have overfed the plant.

As said above, they like free draining impoverished soil.  Mine (in pots still after 6/7 years) have only been fed by the introduction of new compost on the one occasion they were repotted to a bigger pot - and are covered in blossom for the third year running.

My neighbour, in his infinite wisdom, reckons the roots aren't getting ENOUGH water and I should make a deep hole and put a hose-pipe down it! I'm begining to warm to the over-fed theory but the thought of digging it up is daunting - it came in a pot about 70cm dia and deep- would now be a good time to do it or is it best to wait till autumn (hopefully my sone can do it then, although it won't please him because he planted it in the first place!)

[quote user="Deauville"]My neighbour, in his infinite wisdom, reckons the roots aren't getting ENOUGH water and I should make a deep hole and put a hose-pipe down it! I'm begining to warm to the over-fed theory but the thought of digging it up is daunting - it came in a pot about 70cm dia and deep- would now be a good time to do it or is it best to wait till autumn (hopefully my sone can do it then, although it won't please him because he planted it in the first place!)[/quote]

Do you think there will be any life in it still ?

I wonder if the soil has compacted at a level or the roots have hit stone and the deep roots are not getting any water? Could you cut the bottom off a water or coke bottle and bury it inverted by the side of the plant, then fill it with water ?

I think there comes a time in all these things when you say 'what I have got to lose?, kill or cure!'

This might help:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0706/olives.asp

Just another thought from my daughter. When you are planting thingies like small trees dig a square hole for them to go in. If the hole is round the roots can, and will, go round the outside of the new hole and not get chance to go outwards. With a square one they find a corner and instead of turning they are much more likely to keep going and find new ground. This is not a leg pull, 'onest! My daughter is a budding pro gardener just building her knowledge and taking an RHS course at the moment. I thought that she was pulling my leg, but she said she wasn't...