coffee seeds and raspberries

londoneye

I confess to not having searched this one on an assumption it won't have been covered previously.

My neighbour who works in an agricultural school has given me some coffee seeds which another teacher has brought back from Brazil and asked me to have a go at growing them for him (for a man who works at an agric college he is sadly incompetent with plants!).    I will look on internet now and see if there are any specific instructions, and of course I don't hold out too much hope, but has anyone actually grown any, because I would be interested to hear of any 'real life' tips.

OK, so nothing to do with coffee, but when I moved here I inherited some raspberry bushes (although I didnt know it at the time), then my mother bought me one, and now I am drowning in them.   I love raspberries, so its not a problem, albeit I have more than I could possibly eat.   However, having consulted my pruning book, because the plants are now taking over the veggie patch, I still cant quite work out what I am meant to be doing.   Last year, in blissful ignorance, I just chopped the whole lot down to the ground, and now they are rampant.   Therre seems to be two ways of pruning, one way for summer and one way for autumn fruiting, but mine seem to start fruiting in June and then continue through to september - can anyone help please ?

Dunno about coffee, don't drink or grow it, sorry. Raspberries -  cut back the fruited canes once you've nejoyed the fruits; you can cut back any surplus canes, too. Train in the other canes - i.e., tie them in to their supports (I'm assuming you're growing them on wires strung across between stout posts, but if not, tie them to stakes). If you chop anything down too hard it will respond by coming back with attitude - after all, it thinks you tried to kill it. Your raspberies should settle down if you don't give them another severe haricut. Lucky you, having all those raspberries!

Normally

Summer fruiting rasberries fruit for about 3 weeks from mid june to early August.  These should be pruned by cutting out the fruiting stems after they have been cropped or latest after the fisrt frost when these stems will have turned brown and dried out.  The remaining green stemmed shoots should be tied in to fruit next year.

Autumn fruiting raspberries will fruit over a prolonged period of time starting July and going on to the first frost.  These are best pruned by cutting back everything in late winter/very early spring.  New growth will come from the roots - and yes they spread quickly if the soil is fertile.  Dig out what you don't need/what is growing where you don't want it  as the new growth appears in the spring and give to friends and neighbours who should enjoy a crop in the firts season.

Sounds like i have a mix of summer and autumn fruiting raspberries then; thus a mixture of pruning required .... I will dig out what is not needed as stated, although they are very tall as well now, its  a bit like 'day of the triffids' in the veggie patch at moment.

Russethouse; haven't had chance to do anything with coffee beans yet, as busy pointing barn at moment, but will check out your link, so many thanks for that.

Looks like another more couple of garden issues sorted !

thanks all