Fosse Septique and new lawn

Carole

Have just had a fosse septique installed and I have a guy coming round to sew some grass seed shortly. My French neighbours are horrified as they say the seed should be sewn in spring and not autumn.

I have also been told that it is best sewn in autumn due the winter rain. I do not know how it will work if we have a cold, dryish and snowy winter.

Not being a gardener at all can anyone clarify the situation for me. I do not wish to waste my money and have no lawn at the end of this.

I live in Brittany and the soil is of clay.

They normally draw the line at the end of September and when its supposedly still warm enough for the seeds to germinate.

However here in Normandie a relatively mild and warm September and October.  So have a go but the season is normally May to September but during dry and warm spells (?) one should water.

regards

At our last house I sewed lawn seed both in spring and in autumn. The spring seeds came through ok but needed so much watering, then came the heatwave of 2003 and all the fine shoots dried up. So I tried again in Sept/Oct and this time there was a stronger growth and because it rained often I didn't have to water so much. I get the weekly gardening magazine Rustica and they usually do an article about making a new lawn in the late summer, early autumn. To some extent it depends whether you live in the north or the south ie relative temperatures and rainfall. I would also say have a go now.