Roots and L'assainissment non collectif (sewage filter system)

david

Having installed a sewage filter system, in a relatively small area , I am now concerned that planting a hedge or trees nearby ,to attempt to hide an unsightly building ,may be rather foolish.

I think I am really asking about root habits and how they might affect a filter system.Is it a case of finding deep rooting plants rather than spreading shallow ones?Or do all roots dash to the nearest moisture? There is an under water stream, much deeper than the filter.

I plan to put in a 2m high fence and had thought of growing Russian Vine up and over initially.Any suggestions of quick growing screening plants that could be planted infont of this to break the line of the fence  and add some height? Mixing interesting  coniphers with something else? (filter system permitting)  We live in the Limousin.440m.

Thankyou for your time ,David.

An intersting tall plant is the artichoke - Jerusalem type, like a knobbly potato - will make a good screen if you plant lots - and you can eat them later - you could mix in some sunflowers for effect - neither are there in the winter though. Russian vine is not called 'Mile a Minute' for nothing - keeping it where you want it might be a challenge. Another evergreen climber is the clematis 'Armandii' - lovely perfumed flowers and good dark green leaves - have fun choosing.

Phylis (a rose)

Hello

What is mile a minute called in French and is it generally available in the garden centre chains?  I know how much it grows but have a building I would like ot cover that is not near the house so the smell is not important.

Panda

I would avoid conifers or anything large.  We have a laurel hedge which is attractive & evergreen & seems ok,  I hope,  as far as the fosse is concerned.  Slow growing I believe, but if you want I have some small plants that I need to remove from my future ve garden.  Need to go during  2 wk of March. (in the Vienne).

BUT for 2 yrs now we have had root problems - some conifers & perhaps a large oak, but it caused an overflowing toilet/.NO toilet and needless emptying of the fosse.  The 'emptying man' found roots - lots of, and we have unnecessarily put in a new toilet which also failed to work, and le plombier at last believes me that it is roots in the pipes.  Hopefully sorted soon.

Not sure why - here in the UK no problem & surrounded by large trees.   But be careful,  what you plant,  not easy to have no toilet, especially on Christmas day as we did!

regards

tegwini

Dear Tegwini,

Many thanks for your kind offer of plants.I am interested but we are not in France until 24 March and then only for 2 weeks.Also, I have no soil prepared...need to turn a farm yard into a garden!Would the plants tolerate being in pots for a while or alternatively I could heel them in.?Would they tolerate Limousin winters?

Where do you live in the Vienne?

Sarah.

Hi Sarah

Sadly only in France 14-23 March.

We're NE of Poitiers nr Chattelerault ,   I will try to do something about storing them - if it's not too far to fetch them - do pse let me know.

Never had laurel before as a hedge - quite like it, evergreen, lovely bright colour, slow growing I think, tough I think, Vienne also cold in Winter, I think I have at least 20 plants- approx 12-18 inch

Regards

Tegwini

Having just spotted this thread, may I suggest extreme caution with laurel? I began the millennium bailing out a 6ft deep tumbling bay full of sewage with a bucket on a rope on New Year's Day after laurel roots had destroyed our drains! If that's the damage it can do to clay pipes,what could it do to your filter system?

Dear Tegwini,

We are driving south via N10 this time so will be passing your door. Normally we use the N20. How far are you from Chatellerault and the N10?

It is a shame we will miss one another by a day,but I would be very interested in collecting the plants when en route, if at all possible.That is ,if you would agree  to our doing so when you are not there?

Could you give me some idea what they are? I was thinking they would be fine in a plastic bag each,I will then plant them in a temp. position. We will need to dot them around the car between chair legs etc. as no doubt it will be laden!

Let me know what you think.

kind regards, Sarah.

Hello

We have just finished having pretty much all our land dug up for new fosse toutes eaux and land drainage through courtyard and now have a delightful knee deep mudscape!...

If the taker of the Laurel isn't a goer for any reason, I would be very pleased to take up second place! 

And if there is anyone out there in the vicinity (37, 86, 36) with plants now regarded as weeds at their place (ie you have too many and you pull them out and compost them!)

I would be very pleased to hear from you....especially things that hedge, or irises or other fast establishing plants that thrive in these here parts, would consider digging them up myself too if it helps!!

Need to establish a "garden" before summer letting arrives!

Best wishes,  Nicole[:)]

Contact details removed by a mod. Please use the PM or email buttons on this post to contact the poster.

• 2 weeks later...