replacing lavender bed

seb47

We have a lavender bed that though fantastic and live with humming bird moths at the moment, will need replacing next year as it's at least 7 years old. We plan to rip the plants out when they've finished flowering this year and prepare the bed for next year.

The question is : could we put new plants in, in Autumn for root put-down (though heavy winter frosts hereabouts sadly), or should we wait until  Spring and risk no flowers next year?

Thanks Lisleoise - I'm tempted to do that even though it might mean disturbing the gekko and couleuvres. We think the gekko needs to go home from his singles holiday in our garden and the couleuvres can set up camp in the compost heap as usual.

Seb, you piped me at the post.  We plan to do exactly the same thing.  We planted lavender bushes about 8 or 9 years ago and they have done brilliantly.  We are changing the design of the ground in front of the house, so the lavenders will have to go.  So now I know that this will be an autumn job and will plant new ones then.  Many thanks to you too, Lisleoise ![:)]

[quote user="sueyh"]

Wish I could say the same for my lavendar bushes - the bunnies keep eating them....!  Little fatherless fiends....!

Suey

[/quote]

Give Antipesto a call and ask them to use the Bunvac600 (I think thats what its called).  It runs at 600 rpm - thats rabbits per minute [:D][:D][:D]

just to add to this post... I could have wrote the message myself...

It seems such a shame to get rid of all of them... but I have been told 8 years is the time to do so.... and there is some old brown wood showing.

I was wondering about taking cuttings in Autumn and then replace them in Spring... This was not based on experience, rather just seemed logical to me.

Another thought was to replace half at a time.. meaning that it wont look too bare next spring.

osie