Adders in the garden

Carole

I did not quite know where to post this as the subject matter is not really about a pet!!

My next door neighbours, especially him, are not at all keen on snakes. They have found a couple of adders recently and this morning I was called over to remove one. They do not worry me but I am a bit concerned about being bitten as I have a heart condition.

I did catch it and was about to put it in a bag to take it away but it fell off my stick and was not to be seen again. I was asked if I would kill it as apparently this is what the French seem to do. I am extremely reluctant to do this, and in fact I refused.

What is the simplest and safest way of catching a snake to be able to remove it.

It seems that these poor reptiles are attracted to the neighbours' garden which is a shame - mind you they do say that what you are afraid of is attracted to you. Now if we were talking spiders ...................!!!!

Thanks for any help

Carole

The trouble is, many French seem to kill anything that vaguely slithers, even slow-worms!!! I think all snakes are protected and theoretically should not be killed....not that anyone takes any notice. I keep finding squashed little innocuous dice snakes on the road, most of them, no doubt, savagely killed.

My cat (bless her!) will catch a snake in the garden if she can. Then she brings it indoors. I did manage to save one, once, by catching it - I don't quite remember how, now, maybe putting a salad bowl over it, then sliding a piece of cardboard under it and turning it upside down (as you do to catch insects) and then I put it in a cardboard box and took it to the near river bank where I released it. But I was pretty sure it was no adder - are you sure that the snakes in your neighbour's garden are adders? That is an unusual kind of habitat for them ?

I do not have a reference book but checked it out on the Internet and it looked like one, probably female. It was probably under 2ft in length and a brownish colour with diamond or zigzag markings. It had a very small head.

Everyone around here seems to think that all snakes in this area are adders but truthfully I cannot say. If only people would let them move away as I dont believe that there are any agressive snakes in France. Mind you, not a good idea to tread on them. I live in a very rural part of Brittany so that may be the reason we have them here.

From my description does anyone know what it is likely to be. It is not the first one they have had in their garden. Also what doe a female look like if she is pregnant, is she all lumpy!!

Carole