clever old me

valB

My first year of attempting veggies and yesterday I picked 4lb of carrots, enough English runner beans for our dinner ( lots more on the plants ) eight onions and gave some of my lettuce to neighbours as too many for us. I am so pleased but must admit I did pick all your brains at various times so you can all have a pat on the back as well.

[quote user="valB"]My first year of attempting veggies and yesterday I picked 4lb of carrots, enough English runner beans for our dinner ( lots more on the plants ) eight onions and gave some of my lettuce to neighbours as too many for us. I am so pleased but must admit I did pick all your brains at various times so you can all have a pat on the back as well.[/quote]

Picking veggies, picking brains. Some diet you're on!

Well done ValB - you have every right to be proud of yourself - it takes a lot of hard work but very rewarding when you get to gather the fruits of your labours! We have our first real veg garden for more than 10 years & I love it!

[IMG]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z110/glentham/P6210010.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z110/glentham/P6210009.jpg[/IMG]

We are very lucky to have a little stream running through our property near our veg garden & OH has rigged up a pump system so I can water - nearly free water at the end of a hose. Happy Days! [:D]

Cheers Mrs Postie

Well done to you as well. Yes, I love pottering around the veggies and a friend of mine in UK refers to them as my babies. We have water butts but unfortunately not close enough to water veg so we do use the hose as it would take far too long to walk up and down with watering can. I also have a small herb garden and have great delight in picking my own Parsley, Chives, Rosemary, Fennel and Tyme. Tomatoes had a bad start as I had to treat them with a Borderlaise solution but they are growing well now although not many flowers on them so not sure it they will come up trumps.  Keep digging Mrs Postie  !!!!!!

tip...

grow broad beans on top of potatoes..the broad beans protect the potatoe plants from frost as they all grow.

plant onions and garlic and the like all the way around your vegetable patch..this prevents a large number of slugs invading the vegetables.

plant a variety of flowers all the way around too.. promotes bees to vist every plant you got, increasing crop.

trees, bushes and brambles help to reduce damage to plants and flowers, giving longer life to all.