Bad tempered wasp

Wisigoth

Does anyone know anything about wasps?  I'm assuming that it is a wasp causing the problems because I've only heard it buzz as it delivers its sting - I haven't seen it as it's too quick.  We do Chambres d'hote and this week two of our guests were stung as they sat chatting over a cup of tea round the table on the terrace.  The day after, I was stung as I walked back to the house after watering the pots on the terrace.  My son was stung a couple of weeks ago as he tried to put up the parasol over the table - all on the terrace.  We're starting to think twice before going outside.  I thought wasps only stung you if you bothered them but it seems not.  Is this common at this time of year or is this aggressive wasp a one off?  I've looked round for nests but I can't see any.

Could it/they have been a taon (horsefly)?  There are lots of the blighters around at the moment, they do sound like angry wasps, and they bite at will (no, not that Will).

Wiki says...

The bite from a larger specimen is extremely painful, especially considering the light, agile, and airborne nature of the fly. Unlike insects which surreptitiously puncture the skin with needle-like organs, horse flies have mandibles like tiny serrated scimitars, which they use to rip and/or slice flesh apart. This causes the blood to seep out as the horsefly licks it up. They may even carve a chunk completely out of the victim, to be digested at leisure.

The horsefly's modus operandi is less secretive than that of its mosquito counterparts, although it still aims to escape before pain signals reach their mark's sphere of awareness. Moreover, the pain of a horsefly bite may mean that the victim is more concerned with assessing and repairing the wound, than finding and swatting the interloper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse-fly

Thanks Cathy

I think you are right.  This is our first September here - I don't know if horsefly bites are seasonal - and we haven't encountered them before although we've had the house for six years.  I've had a look at photos of them on the internet after reading your reply and I've seen some around.  It did seem to be much quicker than a wasp as I didn't even get a look at it.  Our poor guest has quite an angry bump on her arm. I'm glad it wasn't a wasp since I've got quite a respect for them as they do a good job in the garden.    I don't know if horseflies are territorial - all four encounters have been on the terrace and yet we spend time in other areas of the garden.  Reluctantly I've put a wasp trap out but I don't know if this will attract them.  I feel a bit nervous going out onto the terrace now.  However, it's helpful to know what I'm up against.

Thanks for your help

Lesley

I have to say that I'm unsure of the "horsefly" angle: I've had a few bites from these beasties, and they settle before biting, which if you see them is the time to whack them, not waft them away, as they just come back.

I've seen none of the darting behaviour from them, and certainly can't imagine one darting in for a mouthfull of blood and away.

I still reckon it's a type of wasp.

I’ve just discovered a small wasp nest behind the shutter less than a metre from our table – so mystery over.  It must have been a nervous, overprotective wasp. 

Whilst researching, I came across a good tip for dealing with bites and stings – place a cup of hot drink on the bite.  It denatures the protein in the bump under the skin and the increased blood flow removes the broken down residue.  It does seem to work very well – the itching disappears instantly and doesn’t return.

[quote user="Wisigoth"]

I’ve just discovered a small wasp nest behind the shutter less than a metre from our table – so mystery over.  It must have been a nervous, overprotective wasp. 

Whilst researching, I came across a good tip for dealing with bites and stings – place a cup of hot drink on the bite.  It denatures the protein in the bump under the skin and the increased blood flow removes the broken down residue.  It does seem to work very well – the itching disappears instantly and doesn’t return.

[/quote]

Er............some of the parts of my body where I've been bitten I would definitely not put a cup of hot drink over![:-))]

Cat is almost certainly right - you'd know if it was a wasp, just because they're noisier and more obvious.

These barstewards get you and you don't really know about till an hour or so later. For the 2nd autumn running, I've taken a bite on my face when furtling around in the garden. I've looked like someone who's just done a few rounds in the boxing ring (with someone 100x better than me!!)