Where to Buy Grass Seeds

scotty

Don't know if it's any use to you but recently Aldi was knocking out grass seeding machines, push along type, for around 15 euros.  They could also be used for weed 'n feed (that's why I got one) They're not very big, maybe 40cms width, but you might get an even application of seed rather than scattering by hand.

I bought a large sack full from my UK wholesaler and have been scattering it around the garden whenever there looks to be rain on the way.  I was even able to sow grass here in November and the stuff came up amazingly.  I was concerned that UK stuff wouldn't be so hardy, but so far, so good.

Beware, check out the language and take your dictionary.  Last year, I bought what I thought to be grass seed from Mr Bricolage, only to find out it was a sack of fertiliser.

• 10 months later...

There is no reason at all why UK grass seed should not grow well in France, although it does have a shelf life.

Grass is hardy by its nature after all it grows all over the world and in the most difficult situations and climates. 

What it will not stand is a combination of being cut very short,  english style and a lack of water.  In the warm parts of France its the norm to leave grass at no shorter than 3" and to water it in the evening if local restrictions allow.  Grass is very resiliant and those who had the droughts of 2003 and 2005 will testify as to how quickly the brown fields returned to green when the rains came.

[quote user="splishsplash"]I always get the utility grass seed from Bricomarche. It's in the garden centre & is around 23 euros for a 25 kilo sack.  [/quote]

Splish - Thanks for the tip.  What is the French for your type of grass seed?  I have a Bricomarche near me.