asparagus beetles

confused of chalus

We had them last year and have them again this year, I'm afraid they are being squashed as fast as I can manage. Fairly soon there will be hundreds of little grubs all chomping away. How this will "not harm the plant" I don't know.

Fairly soon there will be hundreds of little grubs all chomping away.

Is that speculation or a fact?  Asparagus in the wild in France has lived like this for hundreds if not thousands of years, it survives. The important part of the plant is the root stock which they do not touch and I find it just about inconceivable that they will eat sufficient leaves to cause any harm to the plant. This type of thing happens with other species, Spindle ermine moth caterpillars will often completely strip all the leaves from the tree - it's not a problem. Still, if you want to spend your time squashing them - why not?

Chris

Don't squash them, just confuse them! After you have finished harvesting, cut back all but one of your asparagus plants in autumn (once they've gone all leafy and pretty, with fruit on) and the grubs will gather on this one, not the others. Just in case they damage the roots. Which I'm not sure they do. But I read it somewhere. They must do something in this world other than destroy asparagus, so work with them! Hope it works,

Jane

Jane and Danny - so having coaxed them all onto one plant do I then kill them? I'm really looking forward to next year's first full crop - and would like to avoid all those eggs stuck up the spears. There's more to this vegetable gardening lark than I thought. By the way, has anyone else had trouble germinating carrots this year? Thanks to everyone for their comments.

I found the following on line. They're pretty! I checked in my book that told me to cut down all but one plant - the idea is you 'sacrifice' this one plant by leaving the leaves there so the eggs can be laid on them. In theory, the other plants will grow up in the spring and be unaffected - this, however, seems silly to me - surely the beetles will spread in the springtime, or maybe they're not that adventurous...

Anyway, it seems that they can indeed damage the crop - I spotted a few on mine this year, but no damage as yet. I shall keep a close watch next year and just pick them off as and when I see them. Another job for my 6 year-old - he will be busy what with the Colerado beetles and his keep-the-chickens-off-my strawberries duties!

Carrots, no, no problem, but my parsnips have been a no-show so far, except for one little survivor.

Asparagus beetle

Crioceris asparagi

Look for

Bright red, cream and dark blue coloured beetles, oval shaped and about 1cm long. They will be feeding or laying eggs on asparagus spears and fronds. Larvae are grey coloured hump-backed grubs with black heads and three pairs of short legs. They will usually be found feeding on the fronds. The tiny dark coloured eggs are laid pointing away from the plant tissue.

Plants affected

• Asparagus

About asparagus beetle

• Adult asparagus beetles are up to 8mm long.

• Adults appear in mid to late spring as asparagus spears are emerging through the soil.

• They will mate and lay their dark coloured eggs in small rows on the spears.

• When the eggs hatch the larvae will initially feed on the tips of spears, but later will migrate to the fronds.

• They will feed for a few weeks before pupating in cocoons in the soil around the base of the plant or in nearby mulch.

• There may be two or three generations per year depending on temperature and availability of food.

• Adults will overwinter in the soil, leaf litter, or in hollow stems of asparagus plants.

• Feeding by adults and larvae will cause yellow-brown discolouration of the leaves and stems.

• Large infestations can completely defoliate and eventually kill plants.

Treatment

Organic

• Regularly inspect plants and hand pick adults and larvae from the spears and fronds.

• Remove old dead stems and dispose of them to prevent adults over-wintering.

Prevention

• Inspect spears as soon as they emerge for adults mating and laying eggs.

• Wipe away any eggs from the spears.

• Remove any old plant debris around the base of plants to prevent larvae pupating.

Bit of empirical evidence there - "plant will eventually die." Just like my brassicas devastated by some tiny beetle last year. Do we just sit back and say that it doesn't matter? I don't kill things for the sake of it or because they are small and insignificant but I have to defend my crops.

Bit of empirical evidence there - "plant will eventually die."  Errr, not quite sure what you mean, that simply looks like a statement you are making but never mind, of course you must defend your crops.

So here in my garden is some asparagus, looks good doesn't it? Strong and healthy. Every year it is covered in these little insects which I leave alone and surprise, surprise, up it comes again happy as larry. I guess if you have weak plants or unsuitable conditions you could possibly have a problem but I let nature do the work for me. I would certainly advise against insecticides as various bees including honey bees feed voraciously on asparagus flowers and we all know the problems that bees are facing.

[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q73/unautremonde/Asparagus.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q73/unautremonde/Asparagus1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q73/unautremonde/Asparagus-beetle1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q73/unautremonde/Asparagus-beetle.jpg[/IMG]

Chris