Pruning citronniers

Edward Trunk

ET, I am in the same area as you, and now waiting with baited breath for a knowledgeable reply, as I am in a similar situation, and every winter I almost kill my lemon tree - which then spends all the growing season trying to recover.

The worst was when I left it outside and put it in a frost jacket -  stupidly,  I didn't water it all winter so it dried up almost completely. But some of it survived!

Then last winter I brought it indoors - which was bad too, as it needs light, loads of it - and a cool dormant period.

However, I fertilised it like mad with home made nettle juice in the spring, so it grew again and I now have about 7 or 8 fruit, green with tinges of yellow (no buds though).

So, what is it to be? Should we prune it, or not? (I have had my citronnier for about 7 years now, and repotted it this year).

I have no expertise but this is what I do:  pruning encourages new growth and budding.  If I prune, I make sure it is at least 2 months before the first frost (to allow any new growth to harden off) and never prune when there is a possibility of frost (make sure any pruning takes place well after the last frost of the winter).  I keep my citronnier outside (Corbieres) and prune off any dead twigs in the late Spring. [:)]

I am fairly new to the area and very new to keeping a good lemon going but I   am worried about mine as well as it is growing and flowering like a mad thing (same area as you). I would not consider pruning it though at this time of year. I stand to be corrected but I have brought mine under cover although not indoors and intend to drape it with fleece and protect its roots with straw ( it is in a pot). Any other ideas would be more than welcome as it is now bearing at least a dozen lemons for the Christmas G & T's

From what I remember reading about lemon tree care is that they need light, more than they need warmth, in the winter. Of all the citrus, they are the hardiest ones and can survive at  minus 8C. - but I would not want to put it to the test.

And also that it is normal for the tree to blossom and fruit at the same time.

A friend gave us a lemon tree and a little book on its care some years ago. We have found it very useful.

I can't copy the relevant pages here as this would infringe copyright.

Details are :-

Success with Citrus Fruit by Sigrid Hansen-Catania. Publisher :-  Merehurst, ISBN 1-85391-669-2. RRP £2.99

Edit. Just found this http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=success+with+citrus+fruit