Cherries

James2

Hi,

I have an old cherry tree in the garden which normaly gives us a good crop of cherries every year, but this year all the cherries have fallen, all are still green, some are going bad on the tree. The tree looks healthy and there are no birds interested. Anyone have similar problem?

James2

I've had a similar problem with some apples.  The spring has been so dry with many cold nights that trees may well blossom but the flowers aren't fertilized and no fruits set so the embryo drops off after flowering.

Grumpy

Exactly the same situation here with the cherry tree.

We've been here four years, the first two produced no cherries at all from our old tree, and the leaves fell off during June. Last year, however, we had a bumper crop.

The signs looked good this year, as well, with thousands of juvenile cherries forming. But that's as far as they've got. They're not getting any bigger, and just turning yellow and going bad. Many have fallen off. Any suggestions? Could it be the persistent wet weather?

Chris

our cherry tree was useless and Mr. Nectarine gave it a hard pruning last year ... I thought it would die because he'd lopped it about so much. This year, we have had cherries like never before, rich dark red, huge ... and stuffed our faces and bags. I thought I'd go and collect more, the next day, to freeze and strip the tree of its fruit.

The next day, yesterday, went out and ... nothing. Every single cherry was gone, there were a few half cherries in the grass but not a single one left on the tree. During the night, early morning something - most likely a flock of hungry birds - settled on the tree and stripped it bare.

So, warning, take the fruit when you see it!

Because of the weather I'd not expected great things of cherries this year, and those I bought in the local market last week weren't up to much in taste. Those we hadn't eaten had gone bad by next day. But we went to the festival of cherries on Saturday, and it was great! Lotsof stalls with basketsful to try, and we bought a kilo - delicious, big and juicy. I envy those of you with your own trees, and wish you good luck for next year.   [:(]