Jellyfish on the veg plot?

confused of chalus

Sorry, no pictures, but has anyone got an idea what I have just found in the vegetable plot?

Right next to the peppers, in a puddle, was a string of transparent round jelly shapes, about 5cm diameter. Husband removed them and chucked them in the hedge before I could photograph them.

any ideas? Kathy

ps:- The phrase 'this rain will be good for the garden' is wearing rather thin!

If these were in a string its likely that a toad spawned here. After so much dry weather they will be desparate to spawn anywhere so if anyone finds a string like this collect it in a bucket (with some water) and take it to the edge of the nearest pond (not stream or river). They would normally try to twine it in thwe underwater sectrion of plants so it doesn't get blown away.

Its unlikely that a frog would do the same thing and frogspawn is laid in a clump not a string.

Grumpy

I think the blobs were much bigger than toadspawn - and believe me, 'dry weather' is not applicable here.

I've looked up Gengulphus' slime mould and cant see any that are quite as clear and transparent as my blobs.But it's a possible.

[:$]As I look back on this post, I can't believe I've just typed those sentences. I used to earn a living writing serious articles for magazines. Feels a long time ago!

kathy

We've had this in our garden in previous years; I think it's some sort of fungus or mold caused by the damp, but mild, weather. When the sun eventually returns (ha ha) it will shrivel and disappear. Sometimes it looks a bit like seaweed!!

Edit: I looked on Google images but couldn't find anything similar. It hasn't appeared with us this year... yet!

DA