Manure

Dodger253

I might be stepping into it but....

What is the best manure? Horse or cow? Has anyone any experience of getting manure from local farmers? I have yet to approach mine although I think now is the time to do it as he is carting loads of it to his pasture (his is cow manure).

I've only ever used horse manure, which is great! Horse manure is meant to contain a lot more weed seeds than cow manure, due to the animals' digestion system, I understand!  But whatever you have locally is the stuff to go for, whether cow, horse, rabbit etc.

I always either put it into compost bins for a couple of seasons, or spread it onto the soil in the autumn and let the worms take it down - I haven't been into digging for years.

My father used to have a delivery of horse manure every year, which had to be taken by wheelboarrow from the roadside where it was dropped off. It was wheeled to the steps, carried up 4 steps, across past the outhouse, carried down 4 steps, then dumped on the garden. Hard work, but he had an amazing garden, with never a weed daring to show it's face! He also used to send us kids out with a shovel and bucket when the greengrocer came by with his horse and cart - so embarrassing!  [:D]