Trimming a hedge of enormous fir trees

JohnRoss

I want a big hedge of fir trees to be reduced in height. One section is at the edge of our property alongside a road and has a length of 75 metres. A second section is the boundary between our property and that of our neighbours and has a length of 22 metres. The height of the trees varies between 11 and 15 metres and there are approximately 114 fir trees. We have had several come down across the road during storms and have been lucky so far in that the power and telephone lines were just missed.

The section between us and our neighbour to be reduced to 2m in height and the section between our property and the road reduced to 3m in height. We are open to advice about this from whoever comes to give a devis and have contacted several places already on-line. Several agencies have said they cannot find anyone to take interest in our problem!

Has anyone a firm they could recommend around the Deux Sevres area? They would need to take the cut timber away. I shudder to think how much this all might cost!..........JR

When I moved here in 2009 I hade some conifers that were very high (28).Some were very close to power lines.I was told that EDF would cut them down and bill me.I had them cut down by a local person.

Last week I cut down my neighbours Laurel hedge,4 metres high.She gave permission because if I had contacted the Mayor,it would have been cut down at her expense.

Ok well a bloke came yesterday to look at the job and give a devis from a firm called Abresetscie and he said that he would ask EDF if they would cut the trees where they were near the power lines for free. If they do he said they would not take the wood away but that he would when he cut the rest. He said also that our neighbour was correct in that for those trees between us and his property a reduction of height to 2m was required by law. Strange thing is that he suggested a reduction to only 4m to 5m, or halfway between the top of our barn roof and the power cable, would be satisfactory for those trees between us and the road. He will supply a devis sometime next week once he has talked to EDF.

Another chap from some other firm is coming tomorrow to have a look and give a devis so it will be interesting to compare the two when we get them!

If I were a few years younger and physically fitter I might have a go myself but really not a good idea now!..............JR

Had another chap come today and he will also send a devis for the work. He made the point that the trunks of the fir trees would be ok to burn in our stove provided it was well seasoned.

Several sites, mostly American, suggest pine and fir should never be used as firewood indoors. Others, like this one http://www.mastersweep.com/wood.htm , suggest that in fact tests have shown that hardwoods like oak can generate more creosote than fir. It might therefore pay us to keep the cut wood and try burning it next year.

There would also seem to be a tax concession on some of the cost of the work. The chap that came today was a J. Bossuet from La Rochelle so again has anyone had experience of his work?.........JR

Thanks for the info and I think I will give it a try after two years as you suggest. I guess I should split the wood to help it dry and then store it somewhere. One site I have seen suggest leaving it outside to help in washing out resins and bringing it in for splitting and storing for the last 6 months or so. Did you store your wood under cover all the time for seasoning?....JR