Looking after Ivy Geraniums and Petunias

connolls

Hi,

Just looking for some advice.

Just bought Ivy Geraniums and Petunias from our local garden centre. (as you can probably guess from the thread title !!)

Just about to plant out in our Tubs. They look healthy and "happy" at the minute.

I will continue to look after them (feed, water etc.) but what's the best way to keep them flowering trhough the summer ?

I've heard at some point that if you cut them back a little during the summer they will have a "second bloom" does anyone know if this is right. Or do I just cut the dead heads of as usual ?

Thanks for any info.

Best Wishes Mel.

I have been chatting to the gardener at our local Mairie about this only last month.  Her displays of petunias and geraniums are always better than mine, even though she has hundreds to look after.  Yet I have always deadheaded and watered and tended them.

She says that you do need to deadhead dead blooms.  However, the secret, she says, is to
water only on every third day.  Starve them a little of water and they will bloom more.  So this is what I have followed and, so far, my displays have been wonderful.

By depriving water (without killing the plants of course) you 'stress' the plants so they reproduce in expectation of their imminent demise (flowers > seeds).  As long as you remove the fading flowers so the seeds never set, the plant will continue to try to reproduce.  Also use potassium rather than nitrogen based feed (tomato feed is good).

Mrs R 51

As with most plants, knowing country of origin and thus natural habitat gives a clue on care.  Geraniums (or more correctly pelargoniums) originate from South Africa, Madagascar and Egypt so they like dry, hot conditions.  Petunias originate from South America and closely related to tobacco, tomato and potato.   These also tolerate quite dry conditions.  Petunias can be trimmed back if they get leggy and will flower again.