Rose cuttings

woolybanana

I root  rose cuttings mainly in the Summer, I dont follow any rules, my method. for 40 years  is to select a piece approx 9 inches long no thicker than a pencil from recent firm growth/ branch  cut of all the leaves except the top two which reduce in size by half and put three cuttings  into a deep pot so only the top leaves are above the compost keep wet/damp in the shade and at least two will root by next year

Steve

I took 50 cuttings last October - just prunings really, all about 12 inches long, fairly sturdy stems and not too thin.  I removed all but the top leaves.  Prune just below a leave node then "damage" the base of the stem by cutting into it.  Dip in hormone rooting powder and plant in a gritty compost, pushing the cutting right to the bottom of the container.  I used a trough type planter and left them in a sheltered spot in the garden, watering now and again.  In April, 20 of the 50 cuttings had rooted, I potted them on and most of the new rose bushes are now 2 - 3 feet tall and all but 2 have roses on them.  I am so pleased that I am going to do some climbers next autumn.  Good luck.