Hover Mower

Dave sting

Not sure if this is right place to post but hear goes.

I have a large section of garden I haven't tended to much as it is very overgrown and so rarely cut down the weeds and bramble as its too much time and energy , I have cut it now and then but as the ground is very uneven I can only do it with the brush cutter, takes ages. Idea !!! use a hover mower to cut it.

My real question is does any one know why you cant buy a petrol hover mower in France, even the Flymo.fr site only shows them running as electric, its not a problem as I can bring one over from G.B. but I wondered what had happened to stop them being sold, are they banned, I cant see how the electric version is any safer than the petrol ?

Dave

The old 2-stroke hover Flymos will outlast human civilisation. I havent seen one, but taking a wild guess I would say the modern ones are likely to be a pale shadow of what they used to be.

However - not much use on uneven weed-covered ground. Now, your idea of uneven and my idea of uneven are probably different but if this is rough ground covered in brambles and the like a Flymo is going to struggle - the one thing they dont like is ground so uneven its air cushion wooshes out as you pass a dip, leaving it to spear into the ground.

We took our old hover mower over to France when we first brought the place, it wasn't one of those little ones but a good heavy duty one. Think it lasted a couple of years before the motor burnt out trying to get through the grass. We brought a sit on mower and never looked back. Even the hover mower was hard work against sitting and taking it easy on a ride on. Mind you the sit on sometimes has a hard time getting through the first cut of the year when the grass can be nearly 2 feet high, and it has a 39" cutting deck.

Cheers marmite the ground is mainly uneven due to the odd high clumps of grass and the brambles so cutting in with the blade may help.

John, unit looks good but at that price I may as well have it Rotavated, levelled and put grass seed down so I can use my sit on.

Just seems strange the petrol option Hover type do not seem to be sold in France ?

I will bring one over and try it out, English version not cheap either at around £400, can use it on my flat grass if not suitable, along with a few other things " it will come in handy even if I never use it."

Dave

[quote user="Jonzjob"]One of these would fit the bill, but probably more than you want to pay??

[/quote]

I had something similar to this and it lasted more than 12 years of serious abuse!  In all that time I changed the oil yearly, the air filter only once and a new blade form Fleabay after about 8 years.  I did go over the blade with an angle grinder about twice a season though.

Now I have a chap who comes and cuts the grass and does some industrial gardening (all paid up and legal)  which saves me hours of my precious weekends away.

I think I will get one ( the cheaper version) It will come in handy for those hard to get to areas the sit on wont touch, long term, will have it rotavated and seeded.

The fact they don't seem to sell them in France is interesting I can only assume they have been banned for some reason, though even more strange as you can still buy the electric version, so cant be due to the blade not held up on wheels.

Dave