Advice on French view in law

EmmaM68

My father died in France in January of this year. I am still trying to close his account with Societe Generale but that’s another story!

Before my father died he was totally incapacitated in bed - from beginning of October last year until his death - so was unable to leave the house/hospital.

During this time his friend withdrew almost 30,000 Euro from his account. 6000 Euro by cash using his bank card and the rest either online shopping, using his card for general shopping or transferring money out of his account. Now I know that if this had happened in the uk then the bank would not be able to do anything as the silly fool shouldn’t have given his private details to this woman. I’m wondering how it might be seen in France. Would it be considered a crime?

Any help gratefully received.

On the small amount of information that you give it is impossible to say whether or not a crime or a breach of trust has in fact been committed. What explanation did she give for taking the money out ?

In the UK you would seek advice from a solicitor and/ or the police if you felt that something illegal had occurred. The same applies in France.

If a Notaire is dealing with the estate then this is a matter to discuss with them before anything else. If you have full responsibility yourself then search google for "french inheritance disputes" to find English lawyers who can advise and assist you.