make bed or not?

We run a chambre d'hote and for three years have been making the beds daily including cleaning the bathroom and washing up the cups and saucers. We treated ourselves this year to two weekend breaks at different 'luxurious b/b's' On our return each day neither chambre d'hote had made the beds or washed the cutlery and topped up the coffee or milk...in fact one had no tea or coffee facilities in the room! One was British owned the other Danish, 18 euros more than us per night! perhaps I should try French next time?
So what is expected of our guests? Am I creating work for myself?
http://www.le-tilleul.com

>So what is expected of our
>guests? Am I creating work
>for myself?

Surely not if you want repeat business, afraid I would soon check out or have something to say if I got back to find the bed not made. Afraid in this business its not an easy life if you want to stay ahead, its now 0.30am and I have just finished cleaning the kitchen from tonights dinner and just having 30 minutes to myself before going off to bed. The guests we currently have do not tend to leave they rooms in a morning until nearly lunchtime so the afternoons have been hectic this week. We make beds and change the towels daily, hover and clean the bathrooms every day, thats the bath and shower cubical ( all those hairs such a lovely job)and bloodly toothpaste all over the sink.Its want i would expect and i am sure if my guests did not get that level of service then my bookings would soon go down hill. Well it will be soon 6.30 and another day will start, still after tomorrow i think i have got 2 days off this weeks so that something to look forward to.

I think charges depend more on the region, or what the owners feel the market will stand, rather than the level of service. I wouldn't be satisfied with unmade beds or dirty rooms however much or little I was paying.

We find most of our guests make the bed, though the children don't, and there is seldom any major cleaning of shower, basin etc needed during a stay. If beds aren't made or any cleaning needs to be done then we do it - we regard it as part of the service. Of course we wash up any used crockery or glasses and top up the tea and biccies as necessary. We don't necessarily change the towels daily, but I do put towels through the tumble drier.

Will (50)
Forum moderator