A delicate matter

Coco

When guests arrive we always point out that as we have a fosse septique nothing must be thrown down the toilet other than loo paper (in particular, ladies things)

Nothing annoys me more when I am in a public loo or hotel room than seeing a similar sign and then finding that there is nothing to put said articles in. Before I left the UK I found the perfect little solution. Waitrose sold what looked like mini Kleenex boxes which contained mini scented plastic bin liners, for the disposal of tampons and sanitary towels. I bought a supply of these with me but on my last visit to the UK discovered that they no longer stock them. I am on the verge of running out and wondered what others do about such matters.

Does anyone know where I can get something similar (even the old-fashioned brown paper bags)?

Coco

Sainsburys were still selling a similar product when we left the UK in April (purple box, with scented purple bags not unlike those for putting disposable nappies in), and I will be stocking up for our B & B when we go back to the UK in September. HAve yet to track down anything similar here, despite avidly reading the labelling on any I may see in the ladies loo!

Jan

Tesco's Value nappy bags (for disposables)sound exactly the same, and only cost around 80p for 100. Perhaps you could get someone to send/bring you a supply of those?

(I used to use them when walking the dog - a fraction of the price of poop bags and just as solid and efficient).

Digressing a bit but your posting reminded me of a conversation I overheard my parents having in a French hotel room getting on for 40 years ago. My mother asked my father to translate the sign above the loo, which he did laughingly. He translated it as "do not put rubberware down the lavatory". As a small child all I could think of was my hateful plastic mac and my wellingtons, yet couldn't understand why anyone would want to flush either down the loo. Well, OK, perhaps the horrid plastic mac... M

• 5 weeks later...

[quote]When guests arrive we always point out that as we have a fosse septique nothing must be thrown down the toilet other than loo paper (in particular, ladies things) Nothing annoys me more when I am in ...[/quote]

They're called 'Pop-ins', usually also available in Boots & Sainsbury's - I faxed the manufacturer to see if they had a distributor in France, but never received a response, so assume not.  Have yet to find anything similar in France, so usually end up getting them brought out by the dozen boxes when possible.

Well thanks to Gay I believe I have half a dozen boxes in the post.  I also had another forum member email to ask if I wanted some brought over when she came to her holiday home and we had yet another forum member stay here the other night who brought some completely unsolicited.  How kind you all are!