on the subject of babies .... cots.....

.... do you supply them, or leave it to the parents to bring their own.

I'd be VERY reulctant to provide them, given the current research /thinking on materials potentially contributing towards SDS... imagine how awful something like that would be anyway, but if you'd provided a cot that may have contributed.  Doesn't bear thinking about.

[quote].... do you supply them, or leave it to the parents to bring their own. I'd be VERY reulctant to provide them, given the current research /thinking on materials potentially contributing towards SDS.....[/quote]

I used to provide cots and the whole paraphernalia that goes with it for young kids. Having just had 2 and the equipment was here, it might as well be used...

And then this Euro regulation book! came out and what you or I would use in our own home for our own kids was just no longer regulation for self-catering!!

I was not prepared to invest into up to date regulation stuff which would be used but barely 2 or 3 weeks in the whole year's worth of bookings received.... Especially as the regulations came and went as fast as the wind sometime...

So now my 2 are well grown-up, the equipment used has gone to some charity shop and I ask people to bring their own.

They do not mind in the least and perhaps prefer it as young children can be rather fractious for change of 'creature comfort'....

We bought both a cot and high chair over a year ago and haven't used either.

Most folk travelling seem to just put the baby in the bed with them and plonk them in the pram to feed them.

Yes, I know, you're not supposed to have the baby in bed with you but people do it anyway.

Arnold

[quote]Sorry if I'm being a bit thick/ignorant, but what is SDS? And what is this Euro regulation book? We do provide a travel cot in our gite, should I be reconsidering? And if so, why? Thanks for any adv...[/quote]

Euro regulation Book!

Book used by an officiously efficient self-catering inspector...

Book full of regulations for this and that which the said inspector tells you are the new directives coming out of Bruxelles which must be obeyed the same as 'her indoors'...

Book telling that the perfectly good settee you bought just as you started your business is no longer fire proof with the new sticker stating the latest dictat...

Book telling same as above for the 1960's Habitat dining room furniture with ref to paragraph x, sub-line z, indent 2, paragraph y of sub-line w in indent 2...

Book telling that the kettle and toaster bought today will need to be checked up by a proper electrician before use in self-catering accommodation...

Book with which the said inspector is often beaten up with...

Sorry I do go on but you can see I have a love hate relationship with my yearly grading inspection.

I forever have letters from my agency about the latest safety laws in just about everything relating to self-catering and should I want to trade with them next year, could I please comply with it before such and such date.

I can see the agency want to cover their back in case of an eventual litigation. At the same time my cottage is becoming an easel for the latest sticker/poster approving the latest dictat and this is taking all its charm away.

As long as the cottage is clean, beds are made with clean laundry, the place looks jolly, relaxed, aired, welcoming and people on arrival will feel as if they have not left home...

The book and said inspector can have a holiday somewhere else but not here!

I don't know what stipulations you have in your area as I found this 'quality/safety' inspection is very arbitrary, depends very much with the taste and personality of the inspector AND!! DIFFERS VERY MUCH between agencies and tourists boards.

It is just how you interpret all that junk mail your booking agency sends you.....