Suitcase Stands

I'm emrboiled in a bit of an "argument" with my dad at the moment.  He's been helping us to get our B&B ready and is most put out because I haven't provided "stands" in the bedrooms for people to put their suitcases on.  Quite honestly I think they look a bit too corporate and none of the existing furniture is suitable really.

Our first guests arrived on Friday and noone made any comment (don't suppose they would anyway).  But do any of the rest of you B&Bers provide these?  Do you think they are necessary/expected, or just useful if you have the room?

We thought about suitcase stands, especially for people who only spend a night or two and therefore don't unpack the entire case and discard it in a cupboard.  Our reasoning was it might save them using the bed with the fresh linen as a horizontal surface for sorting out their bits from their grubby cases.  Also if they can't house their case safely, there is the danger they put it on the floor and could trip over it in the night!  I would  they would be useful - they do fold up against the wall don't they when not in use?

I wouldn't have them, as our B & B is our home and I would never have a suitcase stand in my bedroom!!  For the same reason don't like notices etc or TVs in rooms.   We recently stayed in a B & B which was very pleasant, but frankly might as well have been a chain hotel.   I don't think that is why people come to B & Bs.  I do sympathise with Eslier though about grubby cases on the bed covers.  If anyone can tell me how to stop people hanging their wet knickers on the radiators (we have indoor and outdoor clothes lines) I would also be grateful.  Incidentally, why do people only away from home for 3 days feel the need to wash their undies every night - if they can afford to come on holiday surely they can afford 3 pairs of drawers[8-)]  Am I the only person who thinks this practice is wierd?

Maggi

[quote user="Blanche Neige"]

Our reasoning was it might save them using the bed with the fresh linen as a horizontal surface for sorting out their bits from their grubby cases. 

Eslier, I do agree, where can one buy these suitcase stands?

[/quote]

Haven't found them yet, it's just another of those things on "the list" to sort out. If anyone finds them first then please let me know.

It's interesting.  I'm erring in Cerise's direction.  I want my B&B to look cosy, like a home, not an impersonal hotel.  But I do agree with Eslier re saving the bed-linen.  We have a white bedspread in one room and a pink one in the other and I know that people are bound to chuck dirty cases, rucksacks or whatever on them.  However, I'm pleased to see that even the for camp is only for them to save the bed linen.  My dad thinks we should have them for the convenience of somewhere to "store" your suitcase.... under the bed as far as I'm concerned!

Maggi

Ever thought that your idea of what you should have in a bedroom in your home may not be the same as someone else - including those staying in your B&B.

We have a TV in our bedroom, so we are different in that respect.

We do not have a suitcase stand in our bedroom, but we do not arrive with a suitcase, stay for a short while and then repack and move on.

When travelling we do not unpack if we are only staying a few days and welcome a suitcase stand.

Maggi it comes across to me that anyone staying in your B&B has to become a clone of you. I wonder what your guests think who are not the same as you? I appreciate it is your home but for your guests it is not their home. Whilst they need to respect it, they are not living there permanently and therfore, their requirements are somewhat different to yours.

Paul

If I am only staying a few days I rarely unpack properly, suitcase stands are very useful. If you could find a folding one, then guests have the option of using it or not. Auctions, second hand shops or brocantes might be a good place to look.

If you find them ugly, put a pretty, washable cloth over it

Sorry but some folks might be missing the real point.

Chambres D'hôtes are meant to be bedrooms in someones own house. They

are for a large part, the owners bedrooms, sometimes used by family and sometimes not.

When Ch d'H's are being viewed for grading, the inspectors will

certainly not be looking for stands, in fact, I would think the

inspectors in our region would not be too happy to see one in the room.

Much as we would sometimes like to have something similar, we are

minded that we are Bed and Breakfast, not an hotel. Vive la difference

and all that.

Mind you, having had a recent holiday, using hotels for much of the

time, there were very few with a stand but those that did have one, we

did find useful.

Further to posting one for sale on ebay and actually studying it.

It seems to me that as an alternative to a proper stand, you could buy one or two of those folding green tubular canvas camping stools and offer one to guests as a suitcase stand on arrival.

All the stands I have seen on ebay are for sale in the US (some may come up on the co.uk site and even on the ebay.fr site (if you are prepared to trawl through the valises). However, it is possible to buy items from the States and have them posted to France. (insert smiley!!) Another alternative is to find a handy person and ask them to make one (they look simple enough), then cover it with whatever material you wish.

If you don't want such a nasty wee thing in your bedroom, just let your guests do as we do - chuck suitcase/travel bag on the floor, unpack what you need and kick it under the bed!

Sorry am getting carried away now....probably by men in white coats......

Hi Paul

No don't think people have to be a clone of me - and we have lots of things in the bedrooms which we don't have in our own, kettles and teacups for example.  However, it is still my home and our B & B rooms are also used for our own friends and family - what I don't want is my home to look like a hotel.  Equally I think most of our guests chose Chambre d'Hotes for exactly that reason, they like the fact that all Ch d'Hotes are different and reflect the owners ideas rather than a corporate theme.  Horses for courses and all that - the original poster asked what the rest of us do and I gave my opinion.  When I go to someone else's Ch d'Hotes I do not expect it to be like mine - though I might pinch some of their nicer ideas when I go home[:)]

Maggi